Monday 1 July 2024

Happy July!

  Happy July to all my friends and readers

New Calendar picture with this
beautiful watercolour painting by Franka Koebsch
"Sommerwiese mit Mohnblüten"
"Summer Meadow with Poppies"
Frank says to this picture:
"
Poppy watercolours are a delight at any time of year. In September, most of the poppy flowers have already faded, but here and there you can still find poppy flowers on the edges of fields or in meadows."

"Mohnaquarelle begeistern zu jeder Jahreszeit. Im September sind die meisten Mohnblüten bereits verblüht, aber hier und da findet in Randlagen noch Mohnblüten an den Feldrändern oder auf den Wiesen."

Read more on their website here. *

* * *

June was an awful month for many, we had heavy rainfalls in Germany and a lot of areas were flooded. Not ours, but we know quite a few people who had to experience damages to their houses. In the meantime, it has become far too hot for my liking. And no, I am not one of those people who complain about the cold in winter and the heat in summer. I always say, in winter, I can dress accordingly, put on more clothes and I'm fine. In summer, that does not help.

I hope the last of the climate change deniers has woken up in the meantime but I doubt it.
 
 * * *

 My favourite book last month was "10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World" by Elif Şafak. It was a sad subject but great writing.

 * * *
 
We had a family celebration down in Southern Germany and they served one of my favourite side dishes: Spätzle (Wikipedia).

 * * *

The old German word for July is Heuert or Heumond. 
They used to start mowing the hay this month. Another word is Honigmond, which simply translated into honeymoon as a lot of weddings would take place in summer and people then went for a honeymoon. But the meaning of the "hay moon" is a lot older, of course.
 
* * *

* You can also have a look under my labels Artist: Frank Koebsch and Artist: Hanka Koebsch where you can find all my posts about the two artists. 

* * *

😎 I wish you all a Happy July! 😎

5 comments:

  1. That's a perfect watercolor for July! Love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lark. I love the combination of cornflowers, poppies and daisies, reminds me of my youth when all the cornfields were full of them.
      Happy July!

      Delete
  2. Love the watercolor, Josh, my oldest is coming for a visit so I’m happy. Glad you are able to have family reunions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read Ariel Lawhon’s Frozen River. It’s a great historical novel and about midwifery in the 1700’s, base on a real person who attended over 1,000 births and never lost a Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, Janet.
      I suppose, you also wrote the anonymous comment, the name Josh gave it away. ;)
      I know how happy you must be to see Josh, it's always so much joy for us mums whose kids live far away.
      Your novel sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

      Delete