Tuesday 9 July 2024

Top 5 Tuesday ~ Small Town Vibes

 

Top Five Tuesday was originally created by Shanah @ Bionic Book Worm, but is now hosted by Meeghan @ Meeghan Reads. To participate, link your post back to Meeghan’s blog or leave a comment on her weekly post. I found this on Davida's Page @ The Chocolate Lady.

* * *
This week’s topic is Small Town Vibes. Meeghan says: "Not sure about you, but I have a fondness for books set in small villages. Doesn’t matter if it’s a crossroad town in the mid-west, or a small fishing village in Norway. If the population is so small a stranger sticks out like a sore thumb, that’s the vibe we are going for."

I grew up in a village but I seem not to have read that many books about that kind of life. It could be that I don't care much for it or because there aren't many about that. But, I found some that I really liked.


Hansen, Dörte "This House is Mine" (GE: Altes Land) - 2015

Lawson, Mary "Crow Lake" - 2002

Leky, Mariana "What You Can See From Here" (GE: 
Was man von hier aus sehen kann) - 2017

Lindgren, Astrid "The Six Bullerby Children" aka "The Children of Noisy Village" (SW: Barnen i Bullerbyn) - 1947

Mak, Geert "Jorwerd: The Death of the Village in late 20th Century" (NL: Hoe God verdween uit Jorwerd) - 1996

Same great small town or village vibes in Germany, Canada, Germany again, Sweden and the Netherlands.

* * *

🏡Happy Reading!🏡
📚 📚 📚

10 comments:

  1. I love books with that small town setting, too. Though when it comes time to make a list of them, I can never seem to think of any that I've read. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to think about it for quite a while, Lark. But these were the first ones that came to mind.

      Delete
  2. Such a fun vibe. Eleanor and I just got back from a two week vacation to my home state of Minnesota. My grandparents live in a small town, maybe one thouand people. Eleanor loved it because she could go off with the neighborhood girls to the park, or riding their scooters, and could go alone. She never gets to do that here in the big city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand Eleanor. But it gets worse in the smaller communities, as well, thanks to so many "helicopter parents".

      Delete
    2. Find My iPhone made me far less nervous. Plus, the majority of the town is elderly, so I felt a lot better letting her go with her friends.

      Delete
    3. We didn't have any of that, neither when we were little nor when our children were. But I would use that today, as well.

      Delete
    4. When I was six years old, a young boy named Jacob Wetterling was kidnapped on a bike ride home from the store with his brother and friend in a town two hours away. It literally changed an entire generation of Minnesotan childrens' childhoods overnight. We could not go anywhere alone, when we had previously been allowed to roam the neighborhood. It has stayed with me my entire life and Eleanor has a hard time understanding why I am so hovering sometimes. But it was a very formative event in my life and I just hate letting her out of my sight. But my grandparents' small town felt a little safer (and was much smaller than Jacob's town). Even so, I panick when her father lets her ride her bike alone, all over his neighborhood. We are in a huge city.

      Delete
    5. That's quite understandable, Sarah.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I thought so, too, Lisa. That's the reason I participated this week.

      Delete