Wednesday 17 July 2024

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #38

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 21st July 2024, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 22nd of September 2024 to read it.

This time, I read two books from my old list (Classics Spin #37) ("Growth of the Soil" and "Rebecca"). But there are always some new books that I can add to my challenge. The books are all in chronological order.

1.    Aristophanes "Lysistrata and Other Plays" (Lysistrata) - 411BC
2.    Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von "Urfaust. Faust Fragment. Faust I" (Faust) - 1772-1808
3.    Dickens, Charles "Nicholas Nickleby. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" - 1838/39
4.    Dumas, Alexandre fils "Camille: The Lady of the Camellias" (La Dame aux Camélias" - 1848
5.    Flaubert, Gustave "Madame Bovary" (Madame Bovary/ Madame Bovary) - 1857
6.    Turgenjew, Iwan Sergejewitsch "Fathers and Sons" (Отцы и дети/Otzy i deti) - 1862
7.    Conrad, Joseph "Victory: An Island Tale" - 1915
8.    Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
9.    Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
10.   Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
11.   Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" - 1929
12.   Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
13.   Krleža, Miroslav "On the Edge of Reason" (Na rubu pameti) - 1938
14.   Némirovsky, Irène "Les biens de ce monde" (All Our Wordly Goods) - 1941
15.   Cela, Camilo José "The Family of Pascal Duarte" (La Familia Duarte) - 1942
16.   Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
17.   Steinbeck, John "Cannery Row" - 1945
18.   Wilde, Oscar "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast" - 1946
19.   Huxley, Aldous "Ape and Essence" - 1948
20.   Hemingway, Ernest "Across the River and into the Trees" - 1950

#17 was picked this time, so for me it's:
Steinbeck, John "Cannery Row" - 1945

This is a great idea for all of us who want to read more classics. Go ahead, get your own list. I can't wait to see what I get to read this time.

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

17 comments:

  1. I've actually read three of these: #s 5, 11, and 12. I didn't like A Farewell to Arms, but then I'm not a huge Hemingway fan. I liked the other two, though Madame Bovary is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. I will see which one I get. I do like Hemingway but we can't all like the same authors.

      Delete
  2. I have two from your list on mine - the Dickens and the Flaubert. I think I'd prefer to get the former, but both are a bit heavier than I'm wanting right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. I like heavy, gives me something to think about and to appreciate my own life, I guess. But I am a Dickens fan and would love to read all of them, only a few left.

      Delete
  3. Two of my favorites are on your list. Nicholas Nickleby (the most hilarious from Dickens) is highly entertaining, and Cannery Row is a short but sweet story - not sweet as in romances - but a poetic, quiet, and heartwarming one.

    My CC Spin list: https://klasikfanda.blogspot.com/2024/07/the-classics-club-spin-38-ccspin.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fanda. Oh, I'm really looking forward to the Dickens now. My favourite so far is David Copperfield. And Cannery Row has been on my wishlist for ages, so I will see whether I get one of them this time.
      And thank you for your list. I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. The Herman Hesse title cracked me up! I have Steppenwolf on my spin this time, but if I like his writing I may have to add this one to my next Classics Club list. All the best with your spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a funny one, Gail. Steppenwolf is actually my favourite by Hesse, so I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
      Thanks for your wish for my spin, I wish the same for you.

      Delete
  5. Good choices. I almost went with William--An Englishman since I have it. I liked Across the River because I like older man/younger woman relationships. I reviewed it a couple of years ago. I'd be interested in your thoughts when you do read it. I hope you enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely want to read all of them at some time. I just said to another blogger, we have too many books, first world problem. We are lucky.
      Looking forward to what we are getting and wish you luck with your choice.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading Madame Bovary, very slowly, in French with Emma of Words and Peace. Good luck on the spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had not seen that, Deb. Though, I really don't have the energy at the moment to read something with a group. But it would have been fun. My edition is in French, as well.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Great #17! I enjoy a lot this author, even though I haven't read this one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I have read a few of his books but this one is still on my list. And it's a short one.

      Delete
  9. I see you got Steinbeck. I have not read that one, but am sure it is good. I have a thick book with his novels, which I am determined to read one day. I have only read Of Mice and Men which I loved, and, of course, watched The Grapes of Wrath. Hope you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my fifth novel by him, Lisbeth. Apart from the ones you mention, I also read "East of Eden", a great novel.

      Delete