Thursday 25 July 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. July 2011 Part 1

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the first week of July 2011.

Borchert, Wolfgang "Complete Works" (GE: Das Gesamtwerk) - 1945/47
Wolfgang Borchert is one of my favourite authors. His work is one of the most important in the so called "Rubble literature" (Trümmerliteratur) of post-war Germany. 


Fitzgerald, F. Scott "The Great Gatsby" - 1925
There was a lot said about society where I often thought, great that we don't have those problems any more. But do we?

Hosseini, Khaled "A Thousand Splendid Suns" - 2007
This is only one of many Afghanistan books I read with my book club over the years. Such an important subject. We had a lot of positive comments to this novel. Good story, gripping, difficult to put down, drew you into this subject, spirit of the human heart, how people can find pleasure and joy.

Oz, Amos "
A Tale of Love and Darkness" (Hebr: סיפור על אהבה וחושך) - 2002
Amos Oz, was born in Jerusalem and grew up in the early days of the new state in a very academic family from Lithuania, one of the many families who had to flee Europe at the eve of the most terrible war ever.
He tells us about the early days of the new Jewish state and how he grew up, he also reminisces on the past of Jewish culture, literature, language and, more importantly, on his mother's depression and suicide. 
This is not just the story of a young man and his family, it's a saga about the whole Jewish people from Europe to Israel. Today even more important than twenty years ago.

Petterson, Per "Out Stealing Horses" (NO: Ut og stjæle hester) - 2003
Interesting story. A man reflects on his life. The novel starts in Norway's forests and it ends there. After his wife dies, a man goes back to a place he spent a summer in his youth. He is coming to terms with so many events in his life. Death, divorce, tragedies, growing up, growing old.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

8 comments:

  1. A Thousand Splendid Suns was a very gripping story. I also really loved The Kite Runner, though that one broke my heart a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although his first book was fantastic, he even got better with every one of his books, Lark. My favourite so far: And the Mountains Echoed.

      Delete
  2. Gatsby remains one of my all time favorite books. I read it on my own and then it was required for freshman year Honors English and I was like, pfft, EASY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can imagine, Sarah. You must have been a good English student.

      Delete
    2. I did excel in that area. Math on the other hand...yikes. lol

      Delete
    3. That is often the case. I liked both. For me it was science that was totally boring.

      Delete
    4. I loved math until it involved science. LOL

      Delete