Tuesday 16 July 2024

Top 5 Tuesday ~ Big Cities

 

Top Five Tuesday was originally created by Shanah @ Bionic Book Worm, but is now hosted by Meeghan @ Meeghan Reads. To participate, link your post back to Meeghan’s blog or leave a comment on her weekly post. I found this on Davida's Page @ The Chocolate Lady.

* * *
This week’s topic is Books Set in a Big City. Meeghan says: "In the total opposite to the week before, we are now aiming for a big city setting. Give me all of those big city feels where a person could get lost in the foot traffic walking down the street."

Big cities always appear to be more exciting than small villages and there seems to be more going on that is interesting to write about, so there are a  lot of books that take place in cities. 

Döblin, Alfred "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (GE: Berlin Alexanderplatz) - 1929

Pamuk, Orhan "Istanbul" (TK: İstanbul - Hatıralar ve Şehir) - 2003

Rutherfurd, Edward 
"London - The Novel" - 1997

Rutherfurd, Edward "New York" - 2009

Rutherfurd, Edward "Paris" - 2013

I have chosen some books that have the name of the city in the title. Three of them are by the same author, Edward Rutherfurd, he is just a brilliant author to write about anything, not just cities, but he has picked some large ones. Another of my favourite authors, Orhan Pamuk, has written about the city he has lived in most of his life: Istanbul. And I could not do this list of large cities without mentioning our own capital: Berlin.

* * *

🌆Happy Reading!🌆
📚 📚 📚

18 comments:

  1. I like city based books - having been born in a city myself and either worked in or lived close by several others. I've been mulling the idea of reading a stack of books with a city in the title. I have 5-6 with Berlin and am looking for some others. Oddly I've noticed that most are capital cities - except for the USA where they're much more likely to be New York or Chicago. Maybe Washington DC is just too boring for fiction [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Kitten. You might be right there. Though I guess the reason that other cities are more prominent in the US is probably because they are so much larger. And the Americans don't like their politicians, no matter who it is, so that's the second reason, I suppose.
      When you say you are looking for some others, do you mean some about Berlin or other cities. I'll have to think, I am sure I find some.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to do a set of books with one city from each country. Say 5-10 in total. They don't have to be capitals - or 'exist' any more after being renamed or vanished into the mists of time.

      It might be interesting - if possible - to read a bunch of books from different cities in the *same* country... but that might be much more difficult.

      Delete
    3. I will think about books about German cities then. There are a few with great history. Or a lot of history, if you like.

      Delete
  2. @Cyberkitten: Elliot Roosevelt did a series of mysteries set in 1940s DC in which Eleanor Roosevelt is a detective. Not sure how big a part the City itself has in the mysteries, though.

    Of these, I think I'd be most interested in Alexanderplatz. I've read a fair few books set in Berlin, but they're mostly by Phillip Kerr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame you didn't add who you are, anon. If you see this, let me know.

      Delete
    2. I *think* that was Stephen from 'Reading Freely'. When he Blogs from work it doesn't always pick up his details.

      Delete
    3. Quite possible, Kitten. I know it's not always the blogger who doesn't want to show their name but a lot of them then leave their name under the post, so we know at least who it is.

      Delete
  3. I've heard that Rutherford is a brilliant writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read Russka by Edward Rutherfurd. Have you read Russka?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have, Lisa. It just didn't fit in this theme. I have read all his books (you find the link under the name Rutherfurd or on my reading list).
      Here is the one for Russka:
      https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/rutherfurd-edward-russka-novel-of-russia.html

      Delete
    2. Great, thank you! I will check out your review for Russka.

      Delete
    3. I hope you enjoy it, Lisa.

      Delete
  5. I love city biographies, they are among my most favorite of topics. I love seeing cities born and grow over time. As a setting it makes no difference to me either way, though I am partial to NYC in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I have never been to the States, Sarah, I wouldn't know whether it is my favourite but there are a few great cities in Europe. My favourite is Brussels and my favourite German city is Hamburg.

      Delete
  6. I live in a large suburb near a large city, but I actually HATE cities! LOL. I much prefer small towns. Same thing when I read. Small towns just have so much more character and are more enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cities have its advantages and disadvantages, Susan. Public transportation is usually a lot better than in the countryside, that's what I really dislike here.

      Delete