Tuesday 23 July 2024

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Debut Novels

   

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". It was created because they are particularly fond of lists. It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week's topic is: Debut Novels


The choice was tough. There are so many different authors that I love and where I loved the debut novels.

Ali, Monica "Brick Lane" - 2003
Allende, Isabel "The House of the Spirits" (E: La casa de los espíritus) (The House of the Spirits #1) - 1982
Frazier, Charles "Cold Mountain" - 1997
Hosseini, Khaled
"The Kite Runner" - 2003
Lessing, Doris "The Grass is Singing" - 1950
Ruiz Zafón, Carlos "The Prince of Mist" (E: El príncipe de la niebla) - 1993
Rutherfurd, Edward "Sarum: the Novel of England" - 1987
Smith, Zadie "White Teeth" - 1999
Stockett, Kathryn "The Help" - 2009
Zusak, Markus "The Book Thief" - 2005

While some of them are not my favourites of the respective author, I still love them all.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

24 comments:

  1. Many of these made a huge splash when they were first published. I've read and enjoyed half of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Deb. I didn't read all of them when they first came out, I found some only through my book clubs. But they are all worth reading.

      Delete
  2. So many good books on this list! White Teeth was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. I totally agree. I would have read many more by her but, so far, only managed one. Too many books, too little time.

      Delete
  3. The Kite Runner made my list too! I loved that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Aj, though I also think that he got better with every book he wrote.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, The Kite Runner. That one has really stuck with me 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a brilliant book, Dini. I also recommend his other books, they are even better.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed The Book Thief when I read it.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, Aymee. Such a different kind of book on the topic. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen that cover for Book Thief before! Kite Runner also made my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the British edition, Stephen. They always have so many different covers, it's unbelievable. I posted the one that I read.

      Delete
  7. I've read both your 2003 books and enjoyed them! Also your 2005 one which I enjoyed in the end as well.

    My TTT: https://laurieisreading.com/2024/07/23/top-ten-tuesday-introductions-to-authors-i-enjoyed/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Laurie. Yes, the end of The Book Thief is particularly good.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I also did. When I got it, I hadn't seen the hype it then caused and I am glad I didn't, I might not have picked it up.

      Delete
  9. The only Isabel Allende book I've read so far is nonfiction, in which she wrote about her experience with her daughter's illness and eventual passing. I keep meaning to read some of her other works.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/debut-novels-ive-read-recently-and-enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read that one, Pam. But it's on my wishlist. I like her style. I can only recommend her books.

      Delete
  10. I just recently finished reading Sarum myself. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/the-10-best-books-i-read-in-the-last-10-years/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stefani. I absolutely love everything by Edward Rutherfurd, he is a brilliant writer and manages to capture the readers with his fantastic topics.

      Delete
  11. So many memorable debuts! I had forgotten Kite Runner was a debut. ~ Carol @ ReadingLadies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to forget, Carol, as it's such a great one.

      Delete
  12. Great authors and obviously even their first books were great. Rutherford is on my shelves. I have not yet read that book by Ruiz Zafón, and have to get to it soooon. The Kite Runner is great. I am sure the others are as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are, Lisbeth. As you can imagine, I have read lots and lots of first books by many different authors, therefore I could choose my absolute favourites.

      Delete