Thursday 27 January 2011

Hosseini, Khaled "The Kite Runner"

Hosseini, Khaled "The Kite Runner" - 2003

This was not my first book about Afghanistan, I have read quite a few. But apart from "The Sewing Circles of Herat" which I still consider the best, this has been one of the more interesting ones. Even though it is not necessarily just about Afghanistan - or maybe just because of that - and it doesn't go on all the time about the Afghanistan during and after the Taliban, I thought this was very informative.

We discussed this in our international book club in October 2007.

Book Description:

"The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons - their love, their sacrifices, their lies.
A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years,
The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic."

I did read other books later on that I liked even more, e.g.
Shakib, Siba "Nach Afghanistan kommt Gott nur noch zum Weinen" (Afghanistan, Where God Only Comes to Weep) - 2002
- "Samira und Samir" (Samira and Samir) - 2004

I also really really liked his next book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" - 2007
His latest book is the best one: "And the Mountains Echoed"- 2013

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2022.

4 comments:

  1. I have just collected this one from the library and cant wait to get stuck into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh, let me know how you like it. Personally, I liked "A Thousand Splendid Suns" better but since you haven't read many books about Afghanistan, you might like this one a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked it, but not sure why, I decided not to read his next book. Maybe I was afraid it was going to be too emotional?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all pretty emotional. I think I preferred the others because they talked about women more. But I honestly can highly recommend them.

      Delete