McCall Smith, Alexander "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" Series
McCall Smith, Alexander "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" (1) - 1999
- "Tears of the Giraffe" (2) - 2000
- "Morality for Beautiful Girls" (3) - 2001
- "The Kalahari Typing School for Men" (4) - 2002
- "The Full Cupboard of Life" (5) - 2004
- "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" (6) - 2004
- "Blue Shoes and Happiness" (7) - 2006
- "The Good Husband of Zebra Drive" (8) - 2007
- "The Miracle at Speedy Motors" (9) - 2008
(There are more in the meantime.)
I usually don't read this genre.
However, I have read all the Ladies' Detective stories and liked them a lot (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have carried on). They are light stories, easy reads but quite amusing, not the usual "easy reads" with nothing memorable in it. The author doesn't just tell some nice little detective stories, there is a lot of information about Botswana in it, too. The people in the books are good people, especially Mma Ramotswe, the First Lady Detective in Botswana.
All of my friends who have read the novels, liked them, as well. You should read them in order.
We discussed this in our book club in November 2004 and June 2008 (different members).
From the back cover:
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency consists of one woman, the engaging and sassy Precious Ramotswe, who sets up shop in Gabarone, Botswana. This unlikely herione specialises in missing husbands, wayward daughters, con men and impostors."