Friday 28 January 2011

Cather, Willa "My Ántonia"

Cather, Willa "My Ántonia" - 1918 

I love this book, I think the description of the characters and the landscape are so wonderful, it shows great writing, one of our book club members compared it to a bouquet of flowers. this book is certainly worth reading.

A great description about new settlers in America, about a hundred years ago but I think it still has a lot to teach us. You could really feel how hard life was. It's amazing they made it. A good account of the hard lives people led.

We talked about this in the book club with US American members who had lived in those part of the States.

A very gentle and reaffirming book which I really enjoyed. I will definitely read more of her novels.

We discussed this in our international book club in October 2008.

From the back cover:

"Willa Cather’s heartfelt novel is the unforgettable story of an immigrant woman’s life on the hardscrabble Nebraska plains. Through Jim Burden’s affectionate reminiscence of his childhood friend, the free-spirited Ántonia Shimerda, a larger, uniquely American portrait emerges, both of a community struggling with unforgiving terrain and of a woman who, amid great hardship, stands as a timeless inspiration."

See more comments on my ThrowbackThursday post in 2022.

3 comments:

  1. Same thoughts about the descriptions: https://wordsandpeace.com/2014/12/23/short-reviews-of-classics/
    I have also read Death Comes For the Archbishop, and on my new list I have Shadows on the Rock (1931)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Emma. I will have a look at your review.
      Did you enjoy Death Comes for the Archbishop?

      Delete