Thursday 18 July 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. June 2011 Part 3

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the third week of June 2011.


This is said to be the first detective language in English, a classic epistolary novel, and this is an outstanding one. His "multi-narration" method, the way all the different characters tell their part of the story, just fascinating.

Wilkie Collins is telling the story in so many voices, having it told in an "I" version throughout and still giving us the best view of every scene. I also loved the story itself, the characters, they really came to life. I could just imagine the way they looked like. The description of both the characters as well as the countryside etc. was just great.

Dostoevsky, Fyodor "The Gambler" (Russian: Igrok - Игрок) - 1866
Apparently, Dostoevsky wrote this book simultaneously with "Crime and Punishment" as he was suffering from gambling compulsion.
If you like Russian authors, this author is a definite must.

Kingsolver, Barbara "The Bean Trees" - 1988
Barbara Kingsolver's first novel. Quite an interesting plot about a girl who ends up with a baby that is just left to her. But a lot of other people appear in the novel, abused women and children, illegal immigrants, people who help and people who don't.

My first novel by this author. One of many. This is a very moving book, wonderful and awful at the same time. It's incredible how much a person can bear if they have to.

Lippi, Rosina "Homestead" - 1998
The story of the women of a small village in the Austrian mountains. The story of several generations of women trying to live their lives.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

14 comments:

  1. I love Wilkie Collins! And I remember liking The Bean Trees the first time I read it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love Wilkie Collins, Lark. Have you read any other of his books?

      Delete
    2. Besides The Woman in White and The Moonstone, the only other one I've read is The Haunted Hotel.

      Delete
    3. I've heard of that one, Lark. Would you say it's as good as the others. Not that I need one more book for the rest of my life. LOL

      Delete
    4. I liked it, but it's not nearly as good as The Woman in White or The Moonstone.

      Delete
    5. Okay, thanks, Lark. Not on top of my list, then.

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on reading 'Moonstone' shortly... well, in a *few* weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) I know that feeling, Kitten. I am sure you will like it, so push it a little further up your TBR list. Enjoy.

      Delete
    2. All scheduled in.. It *is* coming.... [grin]

      Delete
    3. I swear I will read all my TBR books until I am 576 years old. ;)

      Delete
  3. I read "The Moonstone" not too long ago (Miriam had gotten it as a Christmas gift) and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I like to prep for long car trips (as we are for next week) by finding some good audios to bring along. I was surprised at how much he enjoyed The Woman in White; maybe I now need to look for The Moonstone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I am sure he will. It is a similar style but I'm sure men would like The Moonstone even more. Enjoy, Deb. And have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete