Monday 8 July 2024

Shute, Nevil "On the Beach"

Shute, Nevil "On the Beach" - 1959

"It's not the end of the world at all," he said. "It's only the end for us. The world will go on just the same, only we shan't be in it. I dare say it will get along all right without us."

I like dystopian novels. They tell us about what could happen if we don't stop what we're doing. Everyone should read at least one of them. This one isn't such a long story (fewer than 300 pages) and thererfore something for everyone.

And yes, the quote I mentioned at the beginning is true. The world will exist, no matter whether the earth is still there or there are people on it. So, no worries. Nobody can destroy the WORLD. We can, however, destroy everything we loved and wish for our children to still be there when they and their kids and grandkids die.

This story makes us aware that we are all in the same boat, that we cannot get away from the evil others planned. The book is from 1959. Nevil Shute was a clairvoyant.

The book was much loved by the book club, especially the different views on the subject based on age and geographical location. It was all new information to many and much appreciated.

From the back cover:

"After a nuclear World War III has destroyed most of the globe, the few remaining survivors in southern Australia await the radioactive cloud that is heading their way and bringing certain death to everyone in its path. Among them is an American submarine captain struggling to resist the knowledge that his wife and children in the United States must be dead. Then a faint Morse code signal is picked up, transmitting from somewhere near Seattle, and Captain Towers must lead his submarine crew on a bleak tour of the ruined world in a desperate search for signs of life. On the Beach is a remarkably convincing portrait of how ordinary people might face the most unimaginable nightmare."

Apparently, the phrase "on the beach" is a Royal Navy term that indicates retirement from service.

12 comments:

  1. I like dystopian books, too. And I liked this one. There's also a movie version of it that's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Lark. I've heard there is a movie version but I have not seen it. I rather read this type of books.

      Delete
  2. I too have a love for Dystopian & Post-Apocalyptic stories. I read 'On The Beach' *many* years ago - probably after watching the movie adaptation. I'm a fan of Neville Shute and wasn't disappointed. I'll definitely be reading more of his work. Fortunately he was rather prolific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are always great and make you think, don't they, Kitten?
      This was the first time I read this but I'd read "A Town Like Alice" and that was great, as well, so I will read more by him, as well. I'm sure.

      Delete
    2. They do indeed - especially how about how *you* would survive - or not! They certainly stop you taking things for granted!

      I *loved* 'A Town Like Alice' and read it @ the end of 2021. It confirmed me as a fan of the author and I'll definitely be reading more of his. I *think* I have 3 more already. My 'Alice' review is here:

      https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2021/10/just-finished-reading-town-like-alice.html

      Delete
    3. Oh, nice. Three more. I will have to look out for his other books.

      Delete
  3. I love a good dystopian novel & I really like anything by Nevil Shute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Carol. He is a good writer.

      Delete
  4. I feel like the world will be quite happy to have us gone so it can heal itself and start over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will be quite glad without us, Sarah.

      Delete
    2. We had so many chances, Sarah. Unbelievable.

      Delete