Thursday 11 July 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. June 2011 Part 2

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the third week of June 2011.


Grenville, Kate "The Secret River" - 2005
The story of William Thornhill, whose main crime was to be born into absolute poverty in a time where there was not way out of it, where people were forced to become criminals in order to feed their families and, when caught, sent to a foreign country, a country so remote that the voyage there was one of no return.

What does a surgeon do who suffers from terminal illness and knows what is about to happen to him?

Growing up in Germany, you hear everything about World War II, well, everything the Germans did and everywhere the Germans went and everyone who came to Germany etc. You hardly ever hear about the Pacific part of the war. 

 A young girl has run away from home and settles in the woods where she claims she is visited by the Virgin Mary and ordered to build a church at that place.

The story of the prince and the pauper, two boys with completely different backgrounds.

In ancient India, Siddhartha, the son of a Brahmin, the highest caste, becomes an ascetic. Together with a friend he wants to find the enlightenment. 

Is it possible at all to understand someone in such a mental state if you are not in the same one (or have never been in it)? Or is it better to read it if you're not in that state?

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like you're a real fan of David Guterson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed 'Steppenwolf', although it got rather *weird* towards the end. I'll read more of Hesse in future. An old friend loved 'Siddhartha' and was always recommending it to me. Still haven't scheduled 'Snow Falling...' *yet*. Maybe next year? [Although 2025 is filling up FAST with all the promises I'm making to myself!!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2024 and 2025 better be filled with military history :P

      Delete
    2. Oh, I expect there will be *some* of that.... [lol]

      Delete
    3. Would be nice if military actions were history in 2024 and 2025.

      Delete
    4. You would hope that we'd have grown out of it by now... Apparently not.

      Delete
    5. I doubt we ever will, Kitten. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. I really liked The Secret River although it got very sad at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She even wrote a sequel, "Sarah Thornhill". But I haven't read that one, Constance.

      Delete