Friday 5 July 2024

Spell the Month in Books ~ July

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles

July: Stars/Sky

One of my favourite songs must be "Vincent" by Don McLean. "Starry, starry night, Paint your palette blue and gray, Look out on a summer's day, With eyes that know the darkness in my soul". And I would have loved to find more than one book with the word Star in it but, unfortunately, Laura was the only one who brought me her star. However, the others are about birds and they seem to fly to the stars, so here we go:

JULY
J
Bach, Richard "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" - 1970
I am a huge Neil Diamond fan. He is my favourite singer-songwriter ever and always will be. This book is not just a fantastic book but he wrote the music for the film they made. I am glad I can use this book this month.

U
Ahmad, Aeham "The Pianist from Syria" (aka The Pianist of Yarmouk) (GE: Und die Vögel werden singen. Ich, der Pianist aus den Trümmern) - 2017
A story about Palestinians in Syria and refugees. It's even more valid today than it was then.

L
Baumgart, Klaus "Laura's Star" (GE: Lauras Stern) - 1996
Everyone must know this book because they were read it as a child or they read it to their children. But did you know it was originally German?
Y
Angelou, Maya "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" - 1969
 
I often run out of Ys because there are so few books that start with that letter and I don't want to repeat myself every month. So, I went with a phonetic way, copying my friend Emma from Words and Peace. Thank you, Emma.
And, this is a fantastic book. Read it!


* * *
Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

12 comments:

  1. Have you read 'One' by Richard Bach? I read it *years* ago and thought it was quite excellent. Very philosophical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Kitten, I haven't. I'll have to investigate. "Jonathan ..." was such a fantastic book but I read it way back before there was any idea of the internet, so I never realized he had written more. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I've only read the Maya Angelou one. Fun list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing I chose the German version of July then. LOL I am sure you liked the "Caged Bird", Lark.

      Delete
  3. I tried to read Jonathan Livingston Seagull as a kid, maybe 10 or 11? Totally did not get the deeper meanings, just thought it was silly that a bird was telling a story. I should probably try it as an adult, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Sarah. Yes, maybe you should. It's very philosophical. And listen to Neil Diamond's album while reading it.

      Delete
    2. I can't listen to music and read at the same time, but I probably should read it at some point.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. I don't have any problems with that but you can do it one after the other. But it is instrumental, so that might be possible, I don't know.

      Delete
    4. Instrumental would be fine. The competing words would be the issue.

      Delete
    5. Of course. But no, this album is completely instrumental.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. So do I, Lisa. But it has two "u"s and we already needed two for January and February. LOL

      Delete