Wednesday 17 April 2024

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #37

         

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 21st April 2024, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 2nd of June 2024 to read it.

This time, I read three books from my old list (Classics Spin #36). But there are always some new books that I can add to my challenge. The books are all in chronological order.

1.    Aristophanes "Lysistrata and Other Plays" (Lysistrata) - 411BC
2.    Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von "Urfaust. Faust Fragment. Faust I" (Faust) - 1772-1808
3.    Dickens, Charles "Nicholas Nickleby. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" - 1838/39
4.    Dumas, Alexandre fils "Camille: The Lady of the Camellias" (La Dame aux Camélias" - 1848
5.    Flaubert, Gustave "Madame Bovary" (Madame Bovary/ Madame Bovary) - 1857
6.    Turgenjew, Iwan Sergejewitsch "Fathers and Sons" (Отцы и дети/Otzy i deti) - 1862
7.    Conrad, Joseph "Victory: An Island Tale" - 1915
8.    Hamsun, Knut " Growth of the Soil" (Markens Grøde/Segen der Erde) - 1917
9.    Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
10.   Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
11.   Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
12.   Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" - 1929
13.   Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
14.   Du Maurier, Daphne "Rebecca" - 1938
15.   Krleža, Miroslav "On the Edge of Reason" (Na rubu pameti) - 1938
16.   Némirovsky, Irène "Les biens de ce monde" (All Our Wordly Goods) - 1941
17.   Cela, Camilo José "The Family of Pascal Duarte" (La Familia Duarte) - 1942
18.   Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
19.   Wilde, Oscar "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast" - 1946
20.   Huxley, Aldous "Ape and Essence" - 1948

This is a great idea for all of us who want to read more classics. Go ahead, get your own list. I can't wait to see what I get to read this time.

This time, it's #8, so my novel is:
Hamsun, Knut " Growth of the Soil" (Markens Grøde) - 1917

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

17 comments:

  1. Ambitious list! I hadn't heard of that Wilde title. Even as a southerner, Faulkner scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen, yes, I love ambitious texts. And maybe Faulkner scares you more because you are a Southerner.

      Delete
  2. I've actually read four of these classics! Hope you spin a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm looking forward to seeing what we will get and whether you have read that one, Lark. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I love the title "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast." And I loved the Irène Némirovsky book. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I, that's why I bought it.
      I've read two of Irène Némirovsky's books and like them both.
      Whatever book I will be given, I've chosen them to be on my list, so it's going to be a good one.

      Delete
  4. Madame Bovary is on my spin list, too, but I hope you get Rebecca. It's been decades since I read it, but I remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. I have never read Rebecca, only watched the film about half a century ago. LOL

      Delete
  5. Lots of favorites here, such as 11 and 14. I am actually currently reading The Scapegoat, by Du Maurier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Emma. I never even heard of that one. I am looking forward to Sunday to see what I will get.

      Delete
  6. Ah... The Lady of the Camellias... that was a previous CCSpin pick for me. Very interesting. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I'm really looking nforward to finding out which one I'm supposed to read. Good luck to you, too.
      And I've commented on your post again. If you don't see it, check spam.
      Happy Sunday.

      Delete
  7. Great list. I have read # 4, 5, 6, 11, 14 and 18. I don't like Faulkner and will not read anything but this one book by him. Faust is on my list, by more authors than Goethe. A lot of good authors there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisbeth. You are the second reader who is not a fan of Faulkner. I will see what I think, one day he will be chosen. LOL
      Happy Reading and happy Sunday.

      Delete
  8. I've read #1, #5, and #14. Loved #1. I've got a few of the others on my shelves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like most people have read Rebecca. Happy spinning, Shonna and a nice Sunday.

      Delete