Monday 8 April 2024

Tomalin, Claire "Jane Austen - A Life"

Tomalin, Claire "Jane Austen - A Life" - 1997

Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors. I have read all her novels, even the ones she didn't finish, some letters and short stories, so: a lot about her.

Claire Tomalin is a British journalist and biographer. She has a good reputation, especially for her biographies.

After reading this book, I understand why. I think she put together whatever is known about Jane Austen and her life, her family, her works, her illness, her death, anything. And she also tells us a lot about the era the author lived in, how female authors were regarded, how women were regarded, how people lived. You just have the feeling you lived with them.

We also get to see many of her writings, not all the letters as a whole but many excerpts that give us a glimpse of the author's life.

It's a shame Jane Austen was not able to write more books but this is a good supplement to her literature.

From the back cover:

"At her death in 1817, Jane Austen left the world six of the most beloved novels written in English - but her shortsighted family destroyed the bulk of her letters; and if she kept any diaries, they did not survive her.  Now acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin has filled the gaps in the record, creating a remarkably fresh and convincing portrait of the woman and the writer.

While most Austen biographers have accepted the assertion of Jane's brother Henry that '
My dear Sister's life was not a life of events,' Tomalin shows that, on the contrary, Austen's brief life was fraught with upheaval.  Tomalin provides detailed and absorbing accounts of Austen's ill-fated love for a young Irishman, her frequent travels and extended visits to London, her close friendship with a worldly cousin whose French husband met his death on the guillotine, her brothers' naval service in the Napoleonic wars and in the colonies, and thus shatters the myth of Jane Austen as a sheltered and homebound spinster whose knowledge of the world was limited to the view from a Hampshire village."

14 comments:

  1. I still have 2 Austen's to read, but 'Pride & Prejudice' is probably one of my Top 10 books of all time. LOVED it. It's *such* a shame that she died SO young with so many more great books ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Pride and Prejudice" is the book that most people would call their favourite, and it is fantastic. I prefer "Persuasion", though, for various reasons. I feel more connected to Anne Elliot.
      But in any case, go ahead and read the others, and then we will see which one is your definite favourite.
      And yes, in her case, the old saying is proven right "Only the good die young".
      Thanks, Kitten.

      Delete
    2. I did think that 'Persuasion' was *almost* as good as P&P and really liked Anne Elliot who I thought was a great character. I'll see if I can schedule in at least one of the missing books this year - Northanger Abbey or Mansfield Park.

      Delete
    3. I thought it was those two. They are usually the ones least liked. My least favourite is Northanger Abbey, it's a take on the gothic novels of the time, more a persiflage than a gothic novel itself. But it is still is way better than many many other books.

      Delete
  2. I love Austen's books, but I've never read a good biography of her. Am adding this one to my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. It's hard to write a good biography about someone like Jane Austen. A lot of her writings were destroyed. She lived a quiet life. Nobody noted much about her, except for her books.
      But I believe, Claire Tomalin has shed a light on her life and those around her.

      Delete
  3. Have you read "The History of England"? It is quite funny and she wrote it when she was a teenager. My daughter Miriam and I took the train to Chawton, England, where she lived. You can see our visit here. There is also a museum about her in Bath, but when we visited there, we never got to see it because we spent our time seeing the Roman baths. And do check out the blog about here here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Eva, I haven't. As you know, I love England (and the rest of the isle, of course). I would love to visit the Jane Austen festival in Bath, must be fantastic.
      Thanks for your links, I will surely visit them.

      Delete
  4. I love Claire Tomalin's biographies. I have not read this one, but a lot of other ones abut the lift of Austen. Always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been able to get myself interested in Austen. I have tried, but here we are. What do you love most about her writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question, Sarah. I love the characters, I love that I can get into her stories well, have the feeling I am there. She gives so much information about life at her time.
      But you're not much of a fiction reader anyway, that might be your reason.

      Delete
    2. Hey, maybe you would like this one. It's non-fiction.

      Delete
    3. That's true. I am suuuuuuper specific about the kind of fiction I do read, because I use it as a palate cleanser after especially heavy or long non-fiction. I may give this one a try though, since it is non-fiction.

      Delete
    4. I'd be really interested to see what you think, Sarah.

      Delete