Thursday 4 April 2024

Spell the Month in Books ~ April

         

Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

April: Fish, Bodies of Water or Comedy
Jana suggests for this month: Poisson d’Avril – The French version of April Fool’s Day involves fish, so let’s look for books related to fish, bodies of water, or comedy

I love the sea, so I had to find some books that go with the bodies of water. I found some rivers, a lake and the sea.

APRIL
A
Taylor, Andrew "The Ashes of London" - 2016
A combination of historical novel and crime story. We have all heard about the Great Fire of London, it happened in 1666 and started in a bakery in Pudding Lane. But how did the people live at the time?


P
Hamsun, Knut "
Pan" (NO: Pan) - 1894
It’s fascinating how the author describes nature and makes it come alive. He smells the forest, paints a picture, reminds us of our youth, love, culture, nature, civilization. It’s an echo of childhood and youth for some of us, the inner soul of the human being, he loved to explore that. There is a struggle between opposites, men and women, nature and town, the love story is eminent, there are obstacles, pride, jealousy.

R
Tademy, Lalita "
Red River" - 2007
The author tells the story of her father's ancestors, the Tademy family that came all the way from Egypt as free men only to be turned into slaves in the States. The story begins after the Civil War when the slaves have officially been freed but white supremacists don't want to accept that, so there is still a long struggle ahead of them.

I
Hislop, Victoria "The Island" - 2005
This book reflects on the lives of the people of a wonderful island, how the people got there, how their everyday life was, how life was for those left behind, how the people in the little village just opposite the island were. The author managed to illustrate all this through a family who was involved in the whole history. There are some strong characters in this devastating family saga. The most exciting part: it was used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957.

L
A family saga. Two brothers growing up in India in the 50s and 60s. The different lives they choose for themselves and the consquences it has for the whole family.

* * *

All of these are fantastic books. I am glad I can recommend them to you again.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

 

12 comments:

  1. Love the cover of The Red River! The Island's cover is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both beautiful books, as well, Lark. Lalita Tademy has written about both her grandmothers, one in Cane River, the other one in Red River. Totally interesting.
      And I have read every book by Victoria Hislop after I read this one, she is one of my favourite authors.

      Delete
  2. Nice finds! I like Lahiri's writing, but haven't read this book.
    Here is my post: https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/04/08/spell-the-month-in-books-april-2024/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I have read a few of her books, and if I had to name a favourite, this would probably be it.
      Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  3. I have not read any of these books, but I have read Hamsun's Hunger and one book by Hislop. I also read one by Lahiri but did not like it. I think it was the one who got the Booker Prize. I don't very often agree with this prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you about the Booker Prize, Lisbeth, I often don't like them. The Lowland was longlisted, I think. I have read three of her books and liked them all. But we can't all be interested in the same books.
      Would you recommend Hunger?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I only chose them for the letters but I agree, I also like the covers.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. You kept really close to the topic, I loved that, as well.

      Delete