Saturday 30 July 2022

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin

  

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we a couple of weeks to read the book and review it.

I've been participating here since April 2019 and rather than adding all the results on every single page again and again, I thought I'd publish a single post for it and add the next books whenever they turn up.

For Classics Spin #20, we got #19:
James, Henry "Daisy Miller" - 1879
For Classics Spin #23, we got #8:
Stendhal "Le Rouge et le Noir" (The Red and the Black) - 1830
For Classics Spin #24, we got #18:
Baum, L. Frank "The Wizard of Oz" - 1900
For Classics Spin #25, we got #14:
Hubbard, Fra Elbert "A Message to Garcia" - 1899
For Classics Spin #26, I got #11:
Bulgakow, Michail "The Master and Margarita" (Мастер и Маргарита/Master i Margarita) - 1929-39
For Classics Spin #27, we got #6:
Frost, Robert "A Boy’s Will" and "North of Boston" - 1913+1914
For Classics Spin #28, we got #12:
Highsmith, Patricia "The Talented Mr. Ripley" - 1955
For Classics Spin #29, we got #11:
Boschwitz, Ulrich Alexander "The Passenger" aka "The Fugitive" (Der Reisende) - 1939
For Classics Spin #30,we got #5:
Leroux, Gaston "The Phantom of the Opera" (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra) - 1910
For Classics Spin #31 we got #2:
Brontë, Charlotte "Shirley" - 1849
For Classics Spin #32 we got #6:
Suttner, Bertha von "Lay Down Your Arms!" (Die Waffen nieder!) - 1889
For Classics Spin #33 we got #18:
Lagerkvist, Pär "Barabbas" (Barabbas) - 1950
For Classics Spin #34, we got #13:
Canetti, Elias "Auto-da-Fé" (Die Blendung) - 1935
For Classics Spin #35, we got  #2:
Voltaire "Candide, ou l'Optimisme" (Candide, or Optimism) - 1759
For the Classics Spin #36, we received #20:
Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.

6 comments:

  1. You have participated in a lot of spins. I like the spins. A spin motivates me to get busy with my Classics Club list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I love classics, I always have. I put together my Classics Club list in April 2019. It had 50 TBR books on there that I meant to finish by 31 March 2024. I have only six left on there of which I have almost finished two more, so I guess I will make it. For the spins, I had to add books for a while now since there are supposed to be twenty. LOL

      I hope my lists can inspire some people to read classics or more classics.

      Have a happy 🌞day.

      Delete
  2. Well done Marianne. Most of the time I somehow miss to read the book. I will try harder from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling, Lisbeth. Whenever I have a book challenge, I use that book next whenever I finish another one. Makes it also easier to choose what I want to read next because often I'm stumped.

      Delete
  3. This is such a fun idea! I hope you enjoy these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I love classic books but this gives me a great opportunity to find more. Thanks, Lydia.

      Delete