Wednesday 17 November 2021

Highsmith, Patricia "The Talented Mr. Ripley"

Highsmith, Patricia "The Talented Mr. Ripley" - 1955


This is my seventh Classic Spin and we were given #12.

I found this book on a swap shelf, otherwise I probably wouldn't have even looked at it, I'm not much into crime stories. I had heard of Mr. Ripley through the film of the same name with Matt Damon and Jude Law but never watched it, for the same reason as I normally wouldn't have read this book.

However, Patricia Highsmith is an author with a high reputation and I thought I ought to read at least one of her books. And I'm glad I did. Not because I really enjoyed the story all that much but because she was a talented author.

The characters reminded me a little of "The Great Gatsby", those young people living without any aim or task, only thinking about themselves.

I know there are a lot more books about Tom Ripley but I doubt I'll read any of them, even though the story was well written, this is not my kind of thing.

From the back cover:

"Tom Ripley is struggling to stay one step ahead of his creditors and the law, when an unexpected acquaintance offers him a free trip to Europe and a chance to start over. Ripley wants money, success and the good life and he's willing to kill for it. When his new-found happiness is threatened, his response is as swift as it is shocking."

6 comments:

  1. I've only read Strangers on a Train by Highsmith, but I'd like to read some of her other books sometime. Especially this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not badly written or anything, Lark, and if you like this genre, I'm sure you'll love it. So, enjoy.

      Delete
  2. I think I read this psychological thriller years ago. I definitely saw the movie which was very good. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really watch this kind of movies, Lisbeth. But I had heard of it, of course. Maybe I'll have to watch it one day.

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize that this book is scary. I might skip it now I am determined to finish my classics list but find myself doing so by culling off titles.

    Question. Are you German working on your English or are you British/Irish/Canadian/American/Australian/SouthAfrican/ NJ/Indian living in Germany? I am so impressed that you are here with us! Bravo!

    I read Treasure Island. Somehow I missed it as a child but loved it as an adult. Treasure Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. I guess it depends how easily you get scared but as Lisbeth ^^ said, it is a psychological thriller. I didn't know much about the book when I picked it up, I might not have chosen it otherwise. I don't get scared much by these stories because, after all, they are stories and worse things take place every day but I don't take any pleasure in reading about it, either.

      I read Treasure Island a couple of years ago and quite liked it. So, thanks for your link. I'll hop over later.

      Answer. I am German but have lived in several countries during my life, Belgium, England, the Netherlands. We raised our children in quite an international community (and they both prefer speaking English to German) and I ran an international book club for over a decade. I just prefer reading books in the original (if I speak the language, of course, LOL). Since many of our members moved away after a while, one of them suggested I start a blog. First, it was just going to be for our present and former members but then it took off and now I am happy to carry on the international reading exchange like this even though I live in a smallish town where I don't see anyone else who speaks English.

      Thanks for your comment. I always love meeting new people and hopefully start a new exchange of ideas.

      Delete