Wednesday 3 November 2021

Frankopan, Peter "The Silk Roads"

Frankopan, Peter "The Silk Roads. A New History of the World" - 2015

I love books about the part of the world where the silk roads used to be. So, I bought this book without much looking at it because it sounded like it would be the right one for me.

And it was. But there is so much more to this book than just the history of the Orient. The subtitle is "A new history of the world" and that is exactly what this is. It makes us understand a lot of the contemporary problems. It makes you really grasp our current situation.

When we learn history at school that is before the 20th century, it is mostly Greece and Rome that seems to be interesting to us. Who teaches us about Persia and Ancient China and all the other cultures that had a huge impact on us Europeans. We were so unimportant for a long, long time. We were only at the edge of the world, nothing much was going on here, nobody cared about those "barbarians" in the West.

So, this is not just a history of the Silk Roads, it's a history of everything. He goes on into the present day with some interesting views about last century's wars. More or less, he explains how we got into the trouble we are today. And if we're honest, we have to accept the fact that we are quite culpable of it ourselves.

You can tell that the author is a history professor, he really knows his stuff and knows how to present it, how to bring it across to readers, even if they have not much knowledge about history.

This book is not just supported through many pictures, every single chapter, and may it be ever so little, has its own map that shows you exactly where this part of the book took place and what the earth looked back then. Totally interesting.

If it didn't come out through my description, yet, I loved this book. It's great.

From the back cover:

"For centuries, fame and fortune were to be found in the west - in the New World of the Americas. Today, it is the east which calls out to those in search of riches and adventure. Sweeping right across Central Asia and deep into China and India, a region that once took centre stage is again rising to dominate global politics, commerce and culture.

A major reassessment of world history,
The Silk Roads is a dazzling exploration of the forces that have driven the rise and fall of empires, determined the flow of ideas and goods and are now heralding a new dawn in international affairs."

8 comments:

  1. When I was quite young, I read a novel about the Silk Roads and have been fascinated ever since. I want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been fascinated about that part of our world for longer than I can remember, I find it totally interesting.

      This book is not just about the Silk Road but it starts with that history and where it all leads us.

      I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, Jen.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating look at that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, Lark. But not just about that part, he has more or less shed more light on all the history of the world.

      Delete
  3. I've always been fascinated by the Silk Road. The maps sound amazing. Even Kitaro's music for the Japanese documentary on the SR appealed to me- I still listen to it and consider it so relaxing and excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anyone who reads about the Silk Road has to be fascinated, Greg. It is such an intereseting part of history which I love anyway. It teaches us so much about our current situation, as well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was highly interesting, Emma. I hope you'll like it as much as I did. Happy Reading!

      Delete