Thursday 4 November 2021

#ThrowbackThursday. 100 Books by the BBC

Ten years ago, the BBC came up with a list of books, "The Big Read". They believe most people will have only read 6 of the 100 books here. I don't remember how many books I had read to begin with but in the meantime there are 78. There is one that I will add soon ("Dracula"), others that I will probably never read (like "Lord of the Rings").

So, even though I doubt that I will ever reach a hundred, I think 78 is already a good number compared to only 6. I mentioned at the time that I should be done with this list in about ten years but also added that this was never going to happen since there are some that I'm really not interested in.

How many have you read? I bet any of my readers has read more than six. Looking forward to your answers and maybe your lists, as well.

Read more on my original post here.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was everywhere at the time, Emma. But I think since we talk classics, it still is as relevant today as it was ten years ago.

      Delete
  2. I can't match your 78, but I've definitely read more than 6 books from that list. I counted them up, and I've read 41. I was hoping to surpass 50, but no such luck. At least not yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still have a couple of years until you reach my age, Lark,I don't remember how many I had to begin with because I kept altering the list but 41 is quite impressive. Definitely more than the 6 the BBC says the average person has read.

      Delete
  3. I had a quick look. I have read around 48 books. There are only around another 15 that I would like to read. Let's see if I ever get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I said to your pre-writers, Lisbeth, that's still a lot more than six. And it's not a must. Many of those books are very "British", and we have other books that we also find "mandatory". I just enjoy classics and, having lived in Britain, they might be a tad closer to my heart as others.

    ReplyDelete