Friday 19 November 2021

Book Quotes of the Week

       
Word cloud made with WordItOut

I found Solzhenitsyn's quote today and thought of the two others at the same time.

"Evil is the Absence of Good". St. Augustine

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." John Stuart Mill (often attributed to Edmund Burke)

"We have to condemn publicly the very idea that some people have the right to repress others. In keeping silent about evil and burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future." Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I think Solzhenitsyn knew a lot about that and if we really think about it, there is nothing left but to agree with all three statements.

Find more book quotes here.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing more true than the first quote. It is not enough to be neutral, we have to be anti-evil, anti-racist, anti-all of those harmful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Sarah, unfortunately, those who are not anti those things, shout so loud all the time. Still, we will not surrender.

      Delete
    2. And I'm sorry I had to delete one of my posts that I published prematurely. You had quite a large comment on it which I copied, so if you want to just add an * when I do publish it on Tuesday, I'll re-copy your comment into it.

      Delete