Wednesday 10 November 2021

Sponge, Miss Victoria "Scone with the Wind"

Sponge, Miss Victoria "Scone with the Wind: Cakes and Bakes with a Literary Twist" - 2015

This book was a present from my son who said he feels he can't go wrong with literary gifts for me. And he is right. And this one is even a combination of two things I really like: reading and baking.

The author's name catches your eyes right away: Miss Victoria Sponge. I have no idea who came up with that idea and who really is behind that pseudonym but I love it.

I haven't baked any of the bakes in this book, yet, though I have made similar cakes and cookies. Now, where do I begin? I am tempted by the "Mansfield Tart" (with raspberry and vanilla custard), the "Woman in Black Forest Gâteau" or "The Three Mousse-keteers", some of my favourites or "Life of Pecan Pie" or "James and the Giant Peach Cobbler" and "War & … Piece of Cheesecake" which I know will go down well with my guys. I just see a lot of baking ahead of me in the near future. 75 in all!

Whether you like baking or just the idea of cake, this is a good book. The recipes are sorted by different genres of literature, starting with Romance & Comedy and ending with Plays. There are some drawings in the book, no pictures like there are in other cook books.

I love that you can look in the index for the authors, the books, the bakes and the ingredients. Brilliant.

From the back cover:

"Bake your way through the classics from Jane Éclair to Tart of Darkness, Banana Karenina and On the Rocky Road, Flapjack and the Beanstalk, Nineteen-eighty Petit Fours and many more!

Enjoy biscuits and cakes, puddings and pies, from romance and comedy through to horror and science fiction, and discover fun, edible versions of your favourite novels.

The ultimate treat for book (and cake) lovers!

The most novel way to get to grips with the classics, Scone with the Wind features 75 delicious literary inspired recipes.
"

Further description:

"Arranged by genre, enjoy biscuits and cakes, puddings and pies from romance and comedy through to horror and science fiction, and discover fun, edible versions of your favourite books.

Includes witty introductions and amusing illustrations throughout, baking essentials and themed menus for book clubs, parties and afternoon teas.

Recipes include:
Breakfast at Tiffins,
Whoopie Pies and Prejudice,
Key Lime and Punishment,
Captain Corelli's Madeleines,
To Kill a Battenberg,
Finnegan's Cake,
Vanity Fairy Cakes,
Middlemarshmallows,
Eton Mess of the D’Urbervilles,
Life of Pecan Pie,
Alone in Berliner,
Lord of the Mille-feuilles,
The War of the Viennese Whirls,
James and the Giant Peach Cobbler,
Much Ado About Muffins,
The Cherry Pie Orchard,
Scone with the Wind and more!
"

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Definitely. Already the name of the author and the title had me in giggles. Thanks, Lark.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yes, neat is a great description, Sarah. And it's fantastic for readers AND bakers.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So do I, Carole. And the book is just as great.

      Delete