Thursday 25 November 2021

#ThrowbackThursday. The Poisonwood Bible

Kingsolver, Barbara "The Poisonwood Bible" - 1998

One of my favourite books ever. The story about a preacher who takes his wife and four daughters to Africa, all five of them have different experiences and see the country with different perspectives.

This book doesn't just tell the story of a family and different women but also the history of the Belgian Congo and the differences of the cultures.

Still one of my all time-favourites. And the first of many books by Barbara Kingsolver that I have read since.

Read more on my original post here.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, this was a wonderful book, and the clash of cultures was portrayed very well. I love how the father, for example, kept ignoring local advice and planting his crops in the European way, which he thought was far superior, only to see it all get swept away by the torrential rains that people had been trying to warn him about. Can't believe this book came out almost a quarter of a century ago now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew, some wonderful observations there.

      I have read about that sort of attitude again and again, the Europeans who came to Africa, the Americas, Asia, always thought they knew better than the natives and always fell on their noses.

      And yes, it's unbelievable how old this book is already. Again, I read books from the seventies where people warn about climate change. Did people listen? No, they used to laugh about those who tried to do something about it. Same thing.

      I absolutely love Barbara Kingsolver, she has so much to say.

      Delete
  2. All time favorite of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Maphead. I think it's time for a re-read. On the other hand, there are still a few novels by Barbara Kingsolver I haven't read, yet. Oh dear, so many books, so little time. LOL

      Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
  3. The first book I read by her and I absolutely loved it. Such a fascinating story and environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me, Lisbeth, I've been a fan of hers ever since.

      Delete