Thursday 21 July 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. Cold Mountain

Frazier, Charles "Cold Mountain" - 1997

"Based on local history and family stories passed down by the author's great-great-grandfather, Cold Mountain is the tale of a wounded soldier Inman, who walks away from the ravages of the war and back home to his prewar sweetheart, Ada. Inman's odyssey through the devastated landscape of the soon-to-be-defeated South interweaves with Ada's struggle to revive her father's farm, with the help of an intrepid young drifter named Ruby. As their long-separated lives begin to converge at the close of the war, Inman and Ada confront the vastly transformed world they've been delivered."

This is one of my favourite book ever, a story about the American Civil War, about love, struggles in bad times, companionship. But it doesn't just show the life of people during the Civil War, it seems to be a never ending description of life. I think it is a great novel that will live on and be read for generations.

Charles Frazier has become one of my favourite authors.

We discussed this in our British Book Club in February 2000.

Read more on my original post here.

4 comments:

  1. I sadly have never read this one. I never saw the movie version of it either. Someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can heartily recommend both "Cold Mountain" as well as any other book by Charles Frazier, he is brilliant.

      Delete
  2. I have not read it, neither seen the movie. It should be good though. Especially, if you think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think so, Lisbeth. As I mentioned, he has become one of my favourite authors. What a pity he hasn't written anything new for a while, four years have passed since his last one but he has had long gaps between his books, up to nine years. So, I hope there will be a new one soon.

      Delete