Tuesday 19 July 2022

Top Ten ... ahem ... Fifteen Tuesday ~ Houses

  

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is a Freebie (We can come up with our own topic!)

One of the many challenges I saw lately contained a list of buildings in the title. I thought that was a good idea and I was certain I would get at least ten with words like "house", "church" etc. I found 17 with the word "house" alone. So, here we go.

Abdolah, Kader "The House of the Mosque" (NL: Het huis van de moskee) - 2005

Allende, Isabel "The House of the Spirits" (E: La casa de los espíritus) (The House of the Spirits #1) - 1982

Ashworth, Andrea "Once in a House on Fire" - 1999

Buck, Pearl S. House of Earth Trilogy: "The Good Earth", "Sons", "A House Divided" - 1931-1935

Dickens, Charles "Bleak House" - 1852/53

Domínguez, Carlos María "The House of Paper" (E: La Casa del Papel) - 2007

Eggels, Elle "The House of the Seven Sisters" (NL: Het Huis van de Zeven Zusters) - 1998

Hansen, Dörte "This House is Mine" (GE: Altes Land) - 2015

Lamb, Christina "The Africa House: The True Story of an English Gentleman and His African Dream" - 1999

Naipaul, V.S. "A House for Mr. Biswas" - 1961

Pamuk, Orhan "The Silent House" (TR: Sessiz Ev) - 1983

Solzhenitsyn, Alexander "Matryona's House" (RUS: Матрёнин двор/Matrjonin dvor) 1963 in "His Great Stories"

Thomas, Rosie "The Potter’s House" - 2001

Trollope, Anthony "The Small House at Allington" - 1864 in "Barchester Chronicles"

Wharton, Edith "The House of Mirth" - 1905

Unfortunately, not all of those books have a picture of the house on their cover but, after reading the novels, I am sure they are all highly interesting.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

24 comments:

  1. Wow, you thought of a lot of examples. Good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia. I found even more but finally had to restrict myself. LOL

      Delete
  2. I never would have thought to look for books with "house" in the title; very fun idea! And I loved House of Mirth (even though it's such a sad book). The House of Seven Gables would fit this list nicely, too. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I saw it somewhere else, Lark, though I don't remember where. And yes, The House of Seven Gables would fit this but I never read it. I read The Scarlet Letter and probably should put this on my wishlist.

      Delete
  3. I'm unfamiliar with these books aside from Bleak House and The house of mirth but The house of paper had an itneresting cover.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa. I don't know where you come from but a lot of my books are quite international, not all of them translated into English, unfortunately. Though, there are still a few well-known authors. But if you click on the pictures in the links, you will find the Goodreads page. Maybe you'd be interested in a few of the books.

      Delete
    2. Marianne: I'm from the U.S. I don't read a lot of international/translated books but sometimes I like to try one or two. The house of paper sounds interesting.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
    3. I thought you might and I always feel sorry that you don't get the opportunity to read that many different books from international countries. I hope you will find a few on my page.

      The House of Paper is an interesting book though I would have liked it to be ten times longer. LOL

      Delete
  4. Fun topic! I thought of The House on Tradd Street and The House in the Cerulean Sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. I haven't read either but I've seen The House in the Cerulean Sea on so many blogs, I might have to read it one day.

      Delete
  5. Little House on the Prairie and The Dutch House are the first books I thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget Little House on the Prairie??? Probably because I have it under "children's literature". Should be on there. Sorry, Deb.

      I read The Dutch House, as well, but I wasn't hugely impressed, so I didn't include it as there were so many others that I did like.

      Delete
  6. So fun!! Great topic, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative, Marianne! I love your theme for this week's TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I'm sure I copied it somewhere ages ago, waiting to come out when needed.

      Delete
  8. I can think of probably 10 books without trying too hard with the word house in the title. It's such a frequently used word, but for good reason. Awesome list and topic this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Jenni. It is used often. And the books are mostly interesting, therefore I am attracted to them agian and again. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Great idea of post!
    You made me curious, so I checked my Goodreads shelf. So far, it looks like I have read 19 books with the word house in it, 2 this year. And I have a few more on my TBR! Who knew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. I'm not surprised. I have "a few" more than the fifteen I listed. LOL So, I'm not surprised that other readers have that many, as well. They do promise great books and quite often also deliver on it.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you did find a lot. For me, houses has a special interest. I have actually read Bleak House, although not a fan of Dickens. It was so, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely special interest, Lisbeth. And thre are so many great books about them. I love Dickens but I understand that he's not for everyone. My favourite by him is "David Copperfield". At least of the ones I've read so far.

      Delete
  11. Great choice of topic, Marianne! I'm noting this down for future freebies but I think I'd struggle to even get 10 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that, Dini. I'm sure you will find plenty of books with the word "house" or "houses" in the title. Otherwise, just add "castle", "cottage" ... whatever. Good luck.

      Delete