Tuesday 12 July 2022

Top Twelve Tuesday ~ Book Covers That Feel Like Summer

  

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at "The Broke and the Bookish". It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Book Covers That Feel Like Summer
Usually, I love these topics and try to get books with a certain word in the title, this time "summer". But I've done a post like that before (see here) and I'm not a big reader of beach novels but I was surprised to see that I could come up with quite a few.
Benali, Abdelkader "Wedding by the Sea" (NL: Bruiloft aan zee) - 1996
Booth, Cathleen "Mercy & Grace on the Camino de Santiago" - 2020
Drinkwater, Carol "The Olive Farm" and further Olive Farm Books - 2001-2010
Geti, Monica "The Year of Sunshine" - 2004
Grenville, Kate "The Secret River" - 2005
Hislop, Victoria "The Island" - 2005
Karystiani, Ionna (Ιωάννα Καρυστιάνη) "The Jasmine Isle" (GR: Μικρά Αγγλία/Mikra Anglia) - 1997
Mercier, Pascal "Perlmann's Silence" (GE: Perlmanns Schweigen) - 1995
Nadal, Rafel "The Last Son's Secret" (E: La maldición de los Palmisano) - 2015
Stewart, Chris "Driving over Lemons" - 1999
Tucholsky, Kurt "Rheinsberg - a Storybook for Lovers" (GE: Rheinsberg - ein Bilderbuch für Verliebte) - 1912
Weidermann, Volker "Summer Before the Dark: Stefan Zweig and Joseph Roth, Ostend 1936" (GE: Ostende - 1936, Sommer der Freundschaft) - 2014

So, my summer books took me to Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Morocco, Spain, and Russia. Not necessarily all countries where you think "summer holidays" but the pictures all look summer-y to me, don't you agree?


📚 Happy Reading! 📚

30 comments:

  1. The Olive Season has such a pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lydia. It is a lovely series about a couple who bought an olive farm, not one of those usual romatic type books, Carol Drinkwater tells us the bad sides, as well. I can higly recommend them.

      Delete
  2. I agree. And I have fond memories of reading The Olive Season and Driving Over Lemons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both great, Deb. Written by a British actress and by a British musician respectively, they give such a great report about their new lives. And I know I could never work on a farm like that or would want to live so far away from the next bigger town but you can tell how much they love it.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy the covers that feature water! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy. Water always makes me think of summers.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of any of these books but these covers definitely give off great summer vibes! Great picks, Marianne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine, Dini, you might read one of them one day, who knows?

      Delete
    2. I was trying to leave the following message on your page but WordPress seems to have a problem with me or blogger or whoever, I cannot comment, they tell me I am not logged into this account. Haha. Anyway, here is my comment:
      And I don't know your books though I have heard of Jennifer Weiner.
      But you have lovely, summery messages. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  5. Great choices for this week's TTT! The Year of Sunshine is the perfect summery cover. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark, that was a recommendation by an Australian friend and it was a highly interesting read.

      Delete
  6. They look summery to me. I love that you have included where they took you too ☺️

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/12/top-ten-tuesday-book-covers-that-feel-like-summer/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. I always liked travelling and since I won't be able to travel to every destination in the world, I try at least to go there through my books.

      Delete
  7. I like your list! I'd be happy to take a summer holiday in those places. The Year of Sunshine looks especially summery to me.

    My TTT: https://bookwyrmknits.com/2022/07/12/top-ten-tuesday-book-covers-with-summer-themes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole. As I mentioned to Lark ^^, a recommendation by a friend and very deserving.

      Delete
    2. I love when I enjoy reading books that friends recommend!

      Delete
  8. Such lovely covers here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/07/12/top-ten-tuesday-376/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I had a hard time finding some since I don't read many "beach reads" as so many other bloggers who had some beautiful colours. But I managed in the end.

      Delete
    2. I've been trying to respond on your post all week long but with no result. There seems to be a glitch and I can't post on some people's blogs though on others' with the same provider it works. Hope they'll sort that soon.
      Sorry.

      Delete
  9. A lovely collection of covers.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/summer-y-titles-of-10-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, I already mentioned that it wasn't easy for me. I tend not to choose books that are too candylike, but in the end, I found some.

      Delete
  10. Nice selection of covers here! Alas, I haven't read any of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Emma. I would have thought you'd read "The Island" or "The Secret River", they both seem to be very popular. I think you might ilke "The Olive Season" since it's about your home country. And the account of my friend Cathleen on the Camino is also a great read, even if you don't know her.

      Delete
  11. Great list - you've found so many!
    And I love the different destinations!
    Happy to have found your TTT.
    - Sara and Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Sara. I was amazed my self to find that many. Thank you so much for visiting.

      Delete
  12. I put The Island on reserve and it is already waiting for me at the library!

    I bet there is one you have read that would have fit nicely: https://www.panmacmillan.com/authors/eva-ibbotson/a-song-for-summer/9781529012248

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Constance. You would lose that bet, I haven't read this book though I have heard about it. So many books ....

      Anyway, it sounds intriguing and I have put it on my wishlist.

      Enjoy "The Island", I'm looking forward to your review.

      Delete
  13. Awesome choices in covers! :D They definitely embody summer.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni. And most of the books also do that. But this time, I just went by covers. Though the content is also great.

      Delete