Wednesday 8 June 2022

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #30

  

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 12th June 2022, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 7th of August 2022 to read it.

In the meantime, I read three more books from my old list (Classics Spin #29) which I usually replace by some new ones. Since I want to finish my oldest classic novels first (as published in my Classics Club list) before buying new ones, I simply added those that are still on that list at the end of the list (only five more). They are all in chronological order.

1.    Voltaire "Candide, ou l'Optimisme" (Candide, or Optimism) - 1759
2.    Brontë, Charlotte "Shirley" - 1849
3.    Keller, Gottfried "Novellen" (Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe u.a.) "Novellas" (A Village Romeo and Juliet and others) - 1855/56
4.    Brontë, Charlotte "The Professor" - 1857
5.    Leroux, Gaston "The Phantom of the Opera" (Le Fantôme de l'Opéra) - 1910
6.    Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
7.    Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
8.    Mandelstam, Ossip "The Din of Time" (Шум времени/Shum vremeni) - 1925
9.    Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
10.    Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
11.    Némirovsky, Irène "La Proie" [The Prey] - 1938
12.    Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
13.    Fallada, Hans "Every Man Dies Alone" (Jeder stirbt für sich allein) - 1947
14.    Mahfouz, Naguib "Midaq Alley" (Zuqaq El Midaq/زقاق المدق) - 1947
15.    Kazantzakis, Nikos "The Last Temptation of Christ" (Ο τελευταίος πειρασμός/O telefteos pirasmos) - 1951
16.    Keller, Gottfried "Novellen" (Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe u.a.) "Novellas" (A Village Romeo and Juliet and others) - 1855/56
17.    Mandelstam, Ossip "The Din of Time" (Шум времени/Shum vremeni) - 1925
18.    Némirovsky, Irène "La Proie" [The Prey] - 1938
19.    Fallada, Hans "Every Man Dies Alone" (Jeder stirbt für sich allein) - 1947
20.    Kazantzakis, Nikos "The Last Temptation of Christ" (Ο τελευταίος πειρασμός/O telefteos pirasmos) - 1951

If you want to take up the challenge, here is the post: The Classics Spin #29 

We just received the result of the draw and we got #5. Look here.
Which means I'm going to read "The Phantom of the Opera" (or rather: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra) by Gaston Leroux, written in 1910.

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

8 comments:

  1. Another good classics list! I've only read two books on it: The Phantom of the Opera (which I loved) and Invincible Louisa. What book are you hoping to spin this time around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't really mind though I would love to finish my initial list of 50 classics but I bought all of these books with the intention of reading them. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Nice list! I have only read 4. Your 14 is fabulous.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2022/06/08/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-30/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, four is more than I have read on many of the lists I see. I loved everything I read by Naguib Mahfouz, so I'm sure this one will be just as great. Thanks for your link, Emma.

      Delete
  3. Wow... some interesting books here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Davida. I am always looking forward to this, especially if a number gets chosen where I've pushed the book around on my TBR pile for quite a while.

      Delete
  4. I loved Phantom of the Opera! I haven't participated in the Classics Club for months. I need to do a bit of an update during the upcoming holidays and get reading on the spins again.

    Thanks for the reminder and I hope you will enjoy The Phantom of the Opera.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elza. I still have a few books on my original list that I try to finish by the end of next year but there is always something else that comes in between. But I guess, somehow, I'll get there.

      In the meantime, I always add a new book that fits in there in the chronological order, so I always have a ready list when the next challenge comes up. ;)

      But we can't always do all the challenges, there are just oo many. This is one close to my heart, I'm sure you do many others that you prefer.

      And thanks for the good wishes with The Phantom. I think I will like it from what I read over the first couple of pages.

      Delete