Monday 30 October 2023

Voltaire "Candide"

Voltaire "Candide, or Optimism" (French: Candide, ou l'Optimisme) - 1759

For the Classics Spin #35, we received #2 and this was my novel.

An interesting take on the Age of Enlightenment.

Candide is a young guy who lives in Germany. He falls in love with a girl but is prevented from marrying her because of her parents. He learns the philosophy "All is for the Best" and travels around the world with this belief.

He probably encounters as many troubles as Homer's Odysseus in the "Odyssey" and solves them almost with the same vigour.

The novel promises to be funny and indeed it is. I have laughed quite a few times during the reading. How can a book be funny and philosophical at the same time? I'm not surprised Voltaire is still such a renowned author even more than two centuries later. I am really happy #2 was pulled for this challenge because I really enjoyed the story.

This novel reminded me a little of Eichendorff's "Life of a Good For Nothing", although it should be the other way around since this one was written earlier. Other than the German novel, I could see more philosophy in this book.

From the back cover:

"Candide tells of the hilarious adventures of the naïve Candide, who doggedly believes that 'all is for the best' even when faced with injustice, suffering, and despair. Controversial and entertaining, Candide is a book that is vitally relevant today in our world pervaded by - as Candide would say - 'the mania for insisting that all is well when all is by no means well.'"

11 comments:

  1. Never would have guessed Candide would end up being so funny. But then I don't know much about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either, Lark. I just like to read classic books and when I come across a French one, I definitely jump at the opportunity. I'm glad I did here because it really was a good story.

      Delete
  2. There you go then! It is a lovely play, and the opera is amazing as well, with the music written by Leonard Bernstein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, Davida. This story and music by Bernstein, must be great. Thanks for that.

      Delete
  3. I read this some years ago and really loved it. I was surprised about the writing. It seemed so fresh and modern, which I did not expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad you liked it, as well. Lisbeth. I totally agree with your comment.

      Delete
  4. I've never read this and didn't even know the premise. It sounds good! I might have to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stumbled upon it by chance at a used book sale and since I like classics, I thought it might be a good idea. I didn't think I would like it this much. Thanks for your visit, Kelly.

      Delete
  5. Sounds good! I've always imagined it would be a really heavyweight read, so I'm surprised to hear that there's humour in it. Surprised and pleased! I'll add it to my next CC list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, FictionFan. I am always careful with French books. I love the French language but am not a huge fan of their books. This is one of the best exceptions. Enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good! I'd always assumed it would be a really heavyweight read, so I'm surprised to hear there's humour in it. Surprised and pleased! I'll add it to my next CC list now.

    ReplyDelete