Saturday 7 October 2023

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From I Capture the Castle to The Secret River

#6Degrees of Separation:
from 
I Capture the Castle to The Secret River

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

This month's prompt starts with I Capture the Castle.

Every month I participate in the challenge "Six Degrees of Separation. We always get a starter book and then go and find another book that links to it and so forth. Hardly ever have I read the starter book and often it is too late to get it or I am not interested. But this has been on my wishlist for ages, so I decided I should read it.

I found the chain this time again by jumping from one word in the title to the next, the first one being Castle:

Pamuk, Orhan "The White Castle" (TR: Beyaz Kale) - 1985 
 
Aicher-Scholl, Inge "The White Rose" (GE: Die weiße Rose) - 1952

Eco, Umberto "The Name of the Rose" (I: Il Nome de la Rosa) - 1980  


Pamuk, Orhan
"My Name is Red" (TR: Benim Adım Kırmızı) - 1998

Tademy, Lalita
"Red River" - 2007


Grenville, Kate "The Secret River" - 2005


📚📚📚

In most of those books there are changes in the lives of the people, sometimes by moving somewhere else for a while or forever. And that is exactly the link between the first and the last. The family in the first book live in an old castle, more or less on exile, whereas the family in the last book is sent from England to a completely new country forever, Australia.

I am also happy to have found four non-English books for my list. I hope some of the other readers will find a new author through that.

8 comments:

  1. amazing that with key words, we end up having no book in common.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/07/six-degrees-of-separation-from-an-english-teen-to-a-renowned-japanese-author/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I saw your post yesterday but haven't had the chance to answer, yet. And I thought the same. It just depends where your first book takes you. I do have a problem with next month's starter, though. What about you?

      Delete
  2. Well, I have read the first and your last books! I know what you mean about I Capture the Castle. I think if I had read it as a teen I would have liked it more. I still liked it but not nearly as much as numerous other coming of age books. Also, I didn't like the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably like the others, as well, Constance. And you are right, I think this book is mainly written for teenagers and probably should have a warning, do not read if older than 18. LOL
      But I have read many other books that are usually read by children or teens, simply because they were not available in German when I was that age and they were an easy read for someone beginning to read "proper" books in English. And I liked most of them. Must be the book then.
      And I totally agree, the ending was rubbish. Chick-litty.

      Delete
  3. Clever use of titles! ~Carol @ ReadingLadies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. I like using titles but it doesn't always work. This time it did. Hurrah!

      Delete
  4. I am always going to love a chain with Orhan Pamuk in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So do I, Lisa. And this time I even had him twice. He is one of the best authors there are. And I'm always happy to find him on your page, as well. And promote him on mine.

    ReplyDelete