Tuesday 31 October 2023

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Doors

    

 "Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". It was created because they are particularly fond of lists. It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

This week, our topic is Halloween Freebie

On this day, in some countries, children go from door to door. So, I thought why not find some books with doors on them. I love doors. They are there to protect you from outsiders who don't mean well but they are also there to welcome friends. These doors are in various countries, the USA and the United Kingdom, Russia and Spain, Ireland, and Syria. They lead you to all kinds of different places, and the door often shows you what might be behind them.
Would any of these welcome children who ask for a treat?


Angelou, Maya "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" - 1969
Baker, Jo "Longbourn" - 2013
Baxter, Charles "The Soul Thief" - 2008 
Dostoevsky, Fyodor "A Gentle Creature" (aka The Gentle Spirit) (RUS: Кроткая, Krotkaja) - 1876
Kerkeling, Hape "I'm Off Then" (GE: Ich bin dann mal weg) - 2014
Levy, Marc "London Mon Amour" (F: Mes amis mes amours) - 2006
McCarthy, Pete "McCarthy's Bar" - 2000
Schami, Rafik "The Dark Side of Love" (GE: Die dunkle Seite der Liebe) - 2004
Stevenson, Helen "Instructions for Visitors. Life and Love in a French Town" - 2001
Stewart, Sheila "Lifting the Latch" - 1987

In Germany, not many kids go from door to door on Halloween. Instead, they go with their lanterns on St. Martin and sing songs (see here).

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

12 comments:

  1. Doors are Special... Magical... and that most wonderful (one of my favourites!) word: Liminal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, Kitten. And there are so many pretty ones around. And liminal is a lovely word.
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I think doors are cool, too!

    Have you played Minecraft? If so, there’s a funny connection between doors and how the Villagers (characters in the game who you can trade with) make more villagers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Lydia. No, I have not played Minecraft but you just reminded me of one of my most favourite Disney films, Monsters Inc. The plot with the doors is just too cute.

      Delete
  3. It’s so interesting to think about where doors on book covers might lead. :)

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    Astilbe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astilbe. I'm glad so many readers like my idea. And thanks for your link. I'll visit you soon.

      Delete
  4. Ooo! Doors is a cool idea. It made me think of a book I'm listening to right now, The Unmaking of June Farrow. There's an important door in it. Oh! And The Ten Thousand Doors of January. Both are excellent. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanna. I never heard of either of them, will have to explore. I just love doors and am happy that so many of you agree.

      Delete
  5. This is such a unique twist on Halloween. I love it! I get tired of opening my door over and over on Halloween, so we just sit on the porch to hand out candy. A lot of people do that here in Arizona since it's always warm on Halloween where we live.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I might have had that idea because we don't celebrate Halloween over here. We had a few kids the first year we were here but I think they have outgrown that age.
      The kids here do go around on New Year's Day, though, to wish everyone a Happy New Year. And they get candy for that (welll, we used to get oranges,). So, I guess they don't want to overdo it.

      Delete
  6. I love doors, and these are really beautiful. I see that the Dostoyevsky book has as cover a painting by Hammerhöj, a Danish painter. https://www.amazon.com/Hammersh%C3%B8i-Painter-Northern-Jean-Loup-Champion/dp/0847899284
    I read a very good historical fiction about him and his wife who was also the model, and always seen from behind. https://thecontentreader.blogspot.com/2022/10/kvinna-sedd-bakifran-by-jesper-wung.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those links, Lisbeth. I read this story in an antology, otherwise I probably would have looked up the title painting. I am totally interested in that book. So, thanks for everything.

      Delete