Saturday 7 October 2023

Smith, Dodie "I Capture the Castle"

Smith, Dodie "I Capture the Castle" - 1948

Every month I participate in the challenge "Six Degrees of Separation". We always get a starter book and then go and find another book that links to it and so forth. Hardly ever have I read the starter book and often it is too late to get it or I am not interested. But this has been on my wishlist for ages, so I decided I should read it

I'm afraid I did not like it very much. The protagonist is a 17 year old girl who writes her journal. And that's exactly how it sounds, as if a 17 year old girl would have written it. And not a smart 17 year old girl who writes well, just a girl who adds one sentence after the other out of boredom.

I have no idea why so many people seem to like this. It reminded me of "Cold Comfort Farm", everyone praised the book but I just couldn't find anything in it that entertained me.

From the back cover:

"Through six turbulent months of 1934, 17-year-old Cassandra Mortmain keeps a journal, filling three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries about her home, a ruined Suffolk castle, and her eccentric and penniless family. By the time the last diary shuts, there have been great changes in the Mortmain household, not the least of which is that Cassandra is deeply, hopelessly, in love."

8 comments:

  1. I've heard this talked about a LOT. One of my friends raves about it periodically. Not read it. Probably never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Kitten, I certainly don't recomment it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I got that impression... [grin]

      Delete
    3. Yes, you're a smart little kitten. [grin] [grin] [grin]

      Delete
  2. I tried to read this one once, but never managed to finish it. I don't know why people love it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Lark. I am sure some of the other readers will have liked it. Would love to hear from some of them what the attraction was.

      Delete
  3. LOL, I will pass on this novel... I've wanted to read it, but after your review of it, Marianne, I'll skip on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always had it on my list, Lisa, that's why I read it as the starter book for our Six Degrees challenge. But I could have done without it.

      Delete