Tuesday 10 October 2023

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #35

       

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 15th October 2023, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 3rd of December 2023 to read it.

In the meantime, I read two books from my old list (Classics Spin #34). But there are always some new books that I can add to my challenge. The books are all in chronological order.

1.    Aristophanes "Lysistrata and Other Plays" (Lysistrata) - 411BC
2.    Voltaire "Candide, ou l'Optimisme" (Candide, or Optimism) - 1759
3.    Dickens, Charles "Nicholas Nickleby. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" - 1838/39
4.    Brontë, Charlotte "The Professor" - 1857
5.    Turgenjew, Iwan Sergejewitsch "Fathers and Sons" (Отцы и дети/Otzy i deti) - 1862
6.    Conrad, Joseph "Victory: An Island Tale" - 1915
7.    Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
8.    Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
9.    Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
10.   Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" - 1929
11.   Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
12.   Orwell, George "The Road to Wigan Pier" - 1937
13.   Du Maurier, Daphne "Rebecca" - 1938
14.   Krleža, Miroslav "On the Edge of Reason" (Na rubu pameti) - 1938
15.   Némirovsky, Irène "Les biens de ce monde" (All Our Wordly Goods) - 1941
16.   Cela, Camilo José "The Family of Pascal Duarte" (La Familia Duarte) - 1942
17.   Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
18.   Wilde, Oscar "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast" - 1946
19.   Huxley, Aldous "Ape and Essence" - 1948
20.   Yates, Richard "Revolutionary Road" - 1961

If you want to take up the challenge, here is the post: The Classics Spin #35 

This time, it's #2, so my novel is:
Voltaire "Candide, ou l'Optimisme" (Candide, or Optimism) - 1759

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

8 comments:

  1. I've read three of these books: Rebecca, Invincible Louisa, and A Farewell to Arms. I'm not a huge fan of Hemingway, but I really liked the other two. Can't wait to see what you spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to any of the books I have on the list, of course. I have just read a Hemingway, so it doesn't necessarily have to be him. But I wanted to read "Rebecca" for ages, so maybe I should wish for that. Thanks, Lark.

      Delete
  2. wow, unique list, I have only read 4, Rebecca is awesome! Though I was very impressed by your #9.
    My list: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/12/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-35/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Emma. I remember watching the film decades ago but I really would like to read the book one day.

      Delete
  3. I'm fascinated by all things Orwell atm, so I wish you Wigan Pier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brona. We'll see. I love this "challenge" because it decides for me what I will read next. LOL

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about that Hesse, which I hadn't even heard of, so I hope you get that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of his lesser known works but I am curious, as well. Thanks, Reese. I will read it at one point and then you will hear about it.

      Delete