Friday 6 October 2023

Spell the Month in Books ~ October

          
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

October: Title Contains a Number or a Colour
Colours or numbers are always a nice topic. But - they have to fit into the letters of the month. Do you know a number that starts with "C", for example? Well, a good thing we could take numbers OR colours.


OCTOBER
O
Bryson, Bill "
One Summer: America, 1927" - 2013

Not my favourite book by one of my absolute favourite authors. But a well researched one about the summer of 27, almost a hundred years ago. Life wasn't easy then, either.

C
Berry, Venise "
Colored Sugar Water: A Spiritual Tale" - 2003

Spiritual bordering on magic realism. Too spiritual for me.

T
Lewycka, Marina "
Two Caravans" (aka Strawberry Fields) - 2007

This book describes the life of Ukrainians (and Polish) seasonal/migrant workers in
citizens in England (before Brexit, obviously).

O
García Márquez, Gabriel "
One Hundred Years of Solitude" (E: Cien años de soledad) - 1967

 A saga of a family, seven generations, starting when the first member immigrates to Colombia, spanning almost a century of South American history during the colonial years.

(Nobel Prize winner 1982)

B
Pamuk, Orhan "The 
Black Book" (TR: Kara Kitap) - 1990

A man is looking for his wife who disappeared. He is roaming the streets of Istanbul in order to look back at their past. He mainly relies on the help of two columnists.

Orhan Pamuk manages to describe his home town in such a way that you really want to visit it (again), he makes it so interesting, the changing of people and cultures.

(Nobel Prize winner 2006)

E
Cognetti, Paolo "The 
Eight Mountains" (I: Le otto montagne) - 2016

Pietro and Bruno have been friends since childhood. Since Pietro's mother decided it was time to spend the summer in the mountains rather than in Milan and his father took him climbing there, in the Dolomites.

A beautiful story.

R
Mo, Yan "Red Sorghum" (CHN: 红高粱家族 Hóng gāoliang jiāzú) - 1987

The story takes place during the second Sino-Japanese war between 1937 and 1945, so approximately the same time the whole world was at war. The narrator tells the story of his ancestors, mainly that of his father, who was a teenager at the time, and his grandfather and grandmother.

(Nobel Prize winner 2012)

So, three colours, four numbers, not bad, I think. I liked all the books, except for "Colored Sugar Water".


Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

8 comments:

  1. Would century count as a number that starts with C?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all take liberty at using something that we think might fit (like the word "colour" instead of a colour) but I didn't have a book that begins with "century", "a century" or "the century". But I would have used it. LOL Thanks, Lark.

      Delete
  2. I made life harder for myself by only choosing Australian books!! I also used a colour chart I found online to get creative with 'e' colours :-)
    Great list Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That definitely makes it harder. Colours AND from your country. But what a great idea to use a colour chart. I never would have guessed EUREKA was a colour. Well done. And thanks for visiting, Brona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I have only read One Hnndred Years... , and by the way, I so much more enjoyed Love in the Time of Cholera. Much easier to follow. I don't do too well with the saga genre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked everything I read by García Marquez, Emma. I think I liked One Hundred Years ... even better than Love in the Time ... but that's definitely a personal choice. They were both great.

      Delete
  5. Ooh, you've got a Pamuk I haven't read! I *love* Pamuk, one of the wisest authors writing to day IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, then you're in for a nice read, Lisa. I am still waiting for his latest book to be published in paperback but otherwise, I've read all his books and they are all fantastic. Big fan here.

      Delete