Monday 24 October 2022

Brontë, Charlotte "Shirley" - 1849

 

Brontë, Charlotte "Shirley" - 1849

This is my tenth Classic Spin and we were given #2.

One cannot read anything by Charlotte Brontë without comparing it to "Jane Eyre". Whilst that novel was about a poor girl with no relatives to help her, the poor girl in this story has an uncle who raises her. And cousins who like her. And a rich friend. So, a completely different story, one could say.

However, Shirley and her friend Caroline also show us the situation of women in the 19th century just as well as Jane Eyre. The story might not be as dramatic but it certainly is interesting. Charlotte Brontë shows quite a bit of humour in her narrative. Still, not my favourite.

From the back cover:

"Following the tremendous popular success of Jane Eyre, which earned her lifelong notoriety as a moral revolutionary, Charlotte Brontë vowed to write a sweeping social chronicle that focused on 'something real and unromantic as Monday morning.' Set in the industrializing England of the Napoleonic wars and Luddite revolts of 1811-12, Shirley (1849) is the story of two contrasting heroines. One is the shy Caroline Helstone, who is trapped in the oppressive atmosphere of a Yorkshire rectory and whose bare life symbolizes the plight of single women in the nineteenth century. The other is the vivacious Shirley Keeldar, who inherits a local estate and whose wealth liberates her from convention.

A work that combines social commentary with the more private preoccupations of Jane Eyre, Shirley demonstrates the full range of Brontë's literary talent. '
Shirley is a revolutionary novel,' wrote Brontë biographer Lyndall Gordon. 'Shirley follows Jane Eyre as a new exemplar but so much a forerunner of the feminist of the later twentieth century that it is hard to believe in her actual existence in 1811-12. She is a theoretic possibility: what a woman might be if she combined independence and means of her own with intellect. Charlotte Brontë imagined a new form of power, equal to that of men, in a confident young woman [whose] extraordinary freedom has accustomed her to think for herself.... Shirley [is] Brontë's most feminist novel'."

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

8 comments:

  1. I read Jane Eyre back in 2015 and generally liked it - despite being a romance [grin]. Haven't read anything else by the Brontes since then. I have managed 7 Classics this year though with one more possible before New Year. I'm going to try for 10 next year. I actually have a rough count of the unread Classics I already own and was surprised that it came to around 100....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Eyre is one of the novels I would recommend to anyone who wants to read a classic. I have read several by the Brontës and I must say, my favourites are the ones by Anne. The thing is, yes, there is romance in their novels but it is a lot more, so much information about life back then, especially for the not so wealthy, high and mighty ones.

      So, I hope you will find 10 great classics to read next year. You can always search my blog for some. Good luck.

      I hadn't counted my classics but just did. I read 23 this year. So far. Wow. Does it show that I love classics? LOL

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one. I've read Jane Eyre, and I tried to read Villette once, only to quit 100+ pages in, but I've never given this one a try. Maybe I should put it on my list of classics to read next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefered Villett to this one, Lark, just saying. And - there are so many great classics ...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It was alright, just not the high quality I expected. The next one will probably be better again. Thanks, Emma.

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to reread 'Jane Eyre' at some point, but I've been curious about her other works. I might give this one a go in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will re-read Jane Eyre one day but first I want to read more by her. I preferred Villette to this one but would be very much interested in hearing how you liked it. Thanks, Joel.

      Delete