Wednesday 12 October 2022

The 1929 Club

This book challenge takes place twice a year and concentrates on one year and one year only. I call it "Read the Year Club". This time, 1929 was picked. For more information, see Simon @ Stuck in a Book. (Here is the invite.)

If you are looking for inspiration, there are a few books from that year that I read already:
Bulgakow, Michail "The Master and Margarita" (RUS: Мастер и Маргарита) - 1929-39
Döblin, Alfred "Berlin Alexanderplatz" (GE: Berlin Alexanderplatz) - 1929
Wolfe,Thomas "Look Homeward, Angel" - 1929

I also found some other ideas:
Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" (Goodreads)
Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" (Goodreads)
Baum, Vicki "Menschen im Hotel" (
Grand Hotel) (Goodreads)

I picked:
Kästner, Erich "Emil und die Detektive" (Emil and the Detectives)
because it has always been on my wishlist. I might read the oters, as well, over time.

This challenge takes place from 24 to 30 October 2022.

If you would like to participate, it's still time to make up your mind.

6 comments:

  1. I'd say that 'Emil and the Detectives' is probably the first book I read as a child that *really* had a profound impact on me. For years afterwards I so wanted to be a detective! I've no idea how I came across the book, whether I found it in a library or borrowed it from someone or if it was from my school. I just know that it completely blew my childish mind [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting. It's a very famous book and they did turn it into a film in 2001 but I have neither read it nor watched the film. So, I am really behind with this German classic and thought I definitely have to choose this one.
      Erich Kästner has written quite a few very good books about different topics, so I am not surprised it had such an impact on you.

      Delete
  2. I have Emile and the Detectives on my wishlist, too, as it's on the 1001 Children's Books You Must Read list. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in English yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Deb. I know how hard it is sometimes to find an English copy from a classic over here but I guess it must be harder sometimes in the English speaking countries. I usually check lists of used copies and I just did it for this book. There are a few available, they don't even cost as much but it might cost an arm and a leg to send it to you from here. However, if you really want it, we can try to find a solution.

      Delete
    2. It's available on Amazon UK in hardback, paperback and on Kindle.

      Delete