Thursday 13 October 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. The Grapes of Wrath

 

Steinbeck, John "The Grapes of Wrath" - 1939

I love Steinbeck's way of writing, his descriptive painting of people, scenes, environment, situations. A sad story. But I loved how the people helped each other out, how they shared the little they had if it was more than others had. I loved the descriptions of everything, be it the land, the people, actions, the situation.

We discussed this in our international book club in March 2009.

Read my original review here.

6 comments:

  1. This is my only Steinbeck (so far). I was very impressed by it, especially the Left-wing politics coming from an American author. My review (from back in 2018) is here:

    https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2018/12/just-finished-reading-grapes-of-wrath.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not all Americans follow a certain DT and his party, Kitten. I know quite a few who see everything very sensibly. Unfortunately, like in our countries, the number of people who are easily influenced, are rising. Let's hope it won't get as far as that.
      Thanks for your link. And I recommend Steinbeck's other novels, they are all great.

      Delete
  2. I read this one (finally!) this year, and I do love Steinbeck's writing. He has such a way of describing life at that time, and making his characters feel so real. I just wish they got a happier ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Lark. I think they might not be as great if they had a happier tune, it was life as he saw it and as it was for many people. I am always thankful not to live in such circumstances though my life didn't always go smoothly. But nothing like what you read about. Makes us more appreciative.

      Delete