Wednesday 5 October 2022

Ivey, Eowyn "The Snow Child"

 

Ivey, Eowyn "The Snow Child" - 2012

I'm not a fantasy fan but I like magic realism and I like fairy tales. Some people will claim that is the same but I know real fantasy fans will agree. Now, this was a mixture between magic realism and fairy tale, it is based on an old Russian fairy tale but takes place in Alaska in the 1920s.

It is difficult to explain without giving too much away but the book description already says a lot. I liked the old couple and I loved the young girl. I liked the interaction between them and I also enjoyed the descriptions of the nature and the hard work people had to endure in order to make a living.

A great story about what could have been.

Book Description:

"Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart - he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone - but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees."

Eowyn Ivey was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for "The Snow Child" in 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I have started to enjoy fantasy fiction lately. Probably due to all the tv-series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are also a lot more fantasy books around, I believe. I'm not much into it but this was more like a fairy tale and that's why I enjoyed it, I think.
      I hope you can read this, Anon. Google, get your act together!

      Delete
  2. I thought this book was beautifully written & enjoyed it very much. She's written another which I plan to read one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Carol. I have also read "To The Bright Edge of the World" which was just as great.

      Delete