Wednesday 26 October 2022

Kästner, Erich "Emil and the Detectives"


Kästner, Erich "Emil and the Detectives" (German: Emil und die Detektive) - 1929

This is one of THE German classics and I had never read it. So, when the "Read the Year" club chose 1929 for their next challenge, I found that this novel was from that year and decided to read it.

My two favourites by Erich Kästner are "Three Men in the Snow" (GE: Drei Männer im Schnee) and "Lisa and Lottie" (aka The Parent Trap) (GE: Das doppelte Lottchen). They are both funny and interesting. Still, Emil and his detectives never attracted me as much. And I was right. For me, this story wasn't as captivating as the other ones. Probably because I'm not much into crime stories.

But the story teaches us something. The harder we have to work something, the more we appreciate its value. And if we can find like-minded people, everything is easier. We can follow a mutual goal and work for a better world.

That is what Erich Kästner has always tried to bring across. And he managed it here, as well.

From the back cover:

"If Mrs Tischbein had known the amazing adventures her son Emil would have in Berlin, she'd never have let him go.

Unfortunately, when his seven pounds goes missing on the train, Emil is determined to get it back - and when he teams up with the detectives he meets in Berlin, it's just the start of a marvellous money-retrieving adventure . . .

A classic and influential story, Emil and the Detectives remains an enthralling read.
"

10 comments:

  1. As I've mentioned before this was one of my earliest reads over 50 years ago. I still have (rather vague) memories about parts of it and it was, I think, instrumental (a little later) in making me the avid reader I am today. It was definitely my earliest 'detective' novel! [grin]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any book that turns someone into a reader is great, CK. I remember so many kids, especially boys, at my sons' age who started to read after "Harry Potter". I think "Emil" was the Harry of his time.

      Delete
  2. My library actually has a copy of this one! I'm going to put it on my list of classics to read next year. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Lark. I hope you will like it. I prefer "Lisa and Lottie" and the book about the three men in the snow but that one hasn't been translated. Still, it's a good book to read more from other countries.

      Delete
  3. A German friend led a discussion of Lisa and Lottie earlier this year, which is probably what gave me the idea of reading this. I enjoyed it and found the author's all-knowing narrative tone quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, Carol. He is a very good author, even though this is not my favourite book by him.
      I was quite surprised to find it on your list, since he is not that well known abroad, even though he is a very valued author in Germany.

      Delete
  4. Hmm, not sure I have ever read German classics for children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not even Heidi? Although, that's a Swiss author but still, one of the most famous classic children's books in German. Maybe I have to dig up more books like this. Thanks, Emma.

      Delete
  5. I haven’t heard of these before - thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Sara, German books are not that commonly known abroad. You can find a few good German authors on my pages.

      Delete