Thursday 20 October 2022

#ThrowbackThursday. The Kingsbridge Series

 

Follett, Ken "The Pillars of the Earth" (Kingsbridge #1) - 1989

A brilliant series of historical novels about a small village and its cathedral. It gets built in 12th century England.

"World Without End" (Kingsbridge #2) - 2007

The follow-up takes place 200 years after the first book.

"A Column of Fire" (Kingsbridge #3) - 2017

Kingsbridge in Tudor time.

The biggest part of England's history is touched upon in these novels. From the sinking of the White Ship over the Black Death unto the Gunpoweder plot, everything is described.

A very impressive series. Ken Follett's style is fantastic, his love for detail brilliant and the stories in his book exciting.

I am currently reading the Kingsbridge novel #0.5 "The Evening and the Morning", set around the year 1,000 AD.

Read my original reviews here: "The Pillars of the Earth", "World Without End" and "A Column of Fire".

2 comments:

  1. I read The Pillars of the Earth, probably at the same time as you. I never got around to read the follow ups though. I do like Follett, but the length of the books is a little bit off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point, Lisbeth. For me, it's an extra enticement but I know that not everyone agrees with me there. I have just finished the fourth book (the prequel) and it is just as great as the other three.

      Delete