Monday 14 October 2024

The Classics Club: The Classics Spin #39

 

"Words and Peace" is a blog I've been following for a couple of years and I have always found some interesting new (or olde) books there, especially French ones.

On her page, I found the posts by "The Classics Club" asking us to create a post, this time before next Sunday 20th October 2024, and list our choice of any twenty books that remain "to be read" on our Classics Club list. They'll then post a number from 1 through 20 and we have time until Sunday 18th of December 2024 to read it.

This time, I read only the one book from my old list (Classics Spin #38) ("Cannery Row"). But there are always some new books that I can add to my challenge. The books are all in chronological order.

  1. Aristophanes "Lysistrata and Other Plays" (Lysistrata) - 411BC
  2. Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von "Urfaust. Faust Fragment. Faust I" (Faust) - 1772-1808
  3. Dickens, Charles "Nicholas Nickleby. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby" - 1838/39
  4. Dumas, Alexandre fils "Camille: The Lady of the Camellias" (La Dame aux Camélias" - 1848
  5. Flaubert, Gustave "Madame Bovary" (Madame Bovary/ Madame Bovary) - 1857
  6. Turgenjew, Iwan Sergejewitsch "Fathers and Sons" (Отцы и дети/Otzy i deti) - 1862
  7. Conrad, Joseph "Victory: An Island Tale" - 1915
  8. Hamilton, Cicely "William - an Englishman" - 1920
  9. Hesse, Hermann "Wir nehmen die Welt nur zu ernst" [We just take the world too seriously] - 1928
  10. Faulkner, William "The Sound and the Fury" - 1929
  11. Hemingway, Ernest "A Farewell to Arms" - 1929
  12. Meigs, Cornelia "Invincible Louisa" - 1933
  13. Krleža, Miroslav "On the Edge of Reason" (Na rubu pameti) - 1938
  14. Némirovsky, Irène "Les biens de ce monde" (All Our Wordly Goods) - 1941
  15. Cela, Camilo José "The Family of Pascal Duarte" (La Familia Duarte) - 1942
  16. Zweig, Stefan "Schachnovelle" (The Royal Game/Chess) - 1942
  17. Wilde, Oscar "Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast" - 1946
  18. Huxley, Aldous "Ape and Essence" - 1948
  19. Hemingway, Ernest "Across the River and into the Trees" - 1950
  20. Simenon, Georges "Maigret's Memoirs" (Les mémoires de Maigret) - 1951

This is a great idea for all of us who want to read more classics. Go ahead, get your own list. I can't wait to see what I get to read this time.

Here are all the books on my original Classics Club list.
And here is a list of all the books I read with the Classics Spin.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting list. I have 3, 5, 11, and14. All unread (of course!)... and I've read 'Ape & Essence' early in 2023. 'Chess' is definitely on my interest list and I've been meaning to read more Hesse after *really* liking 'Steppenwolf'... Maybe *next* year [lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Kitten. I get you. These are all on my TBR list, of course. At the moment, I've been reading so many others with book clubs and reading challenges, I really need to get back to this list, as well.

      Delete
  2. I've read a few from your list. Lysistrata's a lot of fun and Fathers and Sons is very good, too. But I'm curious about Pascal Duarte & I've never read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Reese. I am really looking forward to seeing what I get. The Pascal Duarte is on my list because the author received the Nobel Prize. I haven't read any of his works, so that would be a good one.

      Delete
  3. Fathers and Sons is very good. As is Farewell to Arms. The Sound and the Fury was a tough one for me. I liked Across the River and Into the Trees because I'm a sucker for older man/younger woman books. I also read this book about that time in Hemingway's life https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2018/08/13/review-autumn-in-venice-hemingway-his-last-muse-literary-cross-generational-romance/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Russian authors, Lisa. And I also love Hemingway, I*m sure whatever book I will get, it will be a good one. Thanks for leaving your link.

      Delete
  4. I've not read any of these, but there are a couple on my Classics Club list, just not my spin list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all about that, Kelly. I have more on my classics list, so I never have a problem adding another book there.

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see what book you spin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I read Fathers and Sons years ago, but only remember that I liked it. I hope you enjoy whatever you get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the main thing, Christine. Some books stay with us longer but if they leave a nice feeling, that's good enough.

      Delete
  7. awesome list! I have read only 5. We have at least one author in common, but with a different title.
    I wish you #10.
    Here is my list:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/10/15/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-39/

    ReplyDelete