Thursday 10 October 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. October 2011 Part 4

  

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the fourth part of October 2011.

Ashworth, Andrea "Once in a House on Fire" - 1999
The author describes her youth in a penniless household full of violence and other problems. Her depressive mother sends the family through a series of stepfathers, none of whom can be describe as "normal" family members.

Balliett, Blue "Chasing Vermeer" - 2003
A nice book about art for children, a mixture between fiction and non-fiction. 

Clarke, Marcus "For the Term of His Natural Life" - 1870-72
This novel describes the life of a convict from when he first gets condemned through the voyage to the new continent and the rest of his life. 

Hegi, Ursula "Stones from the River" - 1994
Quite a different war story, Trudi is a dwarf and grows up in war-torn Germany, not a good time for anyone who is not what the Nazis expect a "normal" person to be.

Hornby, Nick "About a boy" - 1998
A funny yet thoughtful and touching novel. Will, the "teenager forever" meets Marcus, the strange child.

Stewart, Chris "Driving over Lemons. An Optimist in Spain" - 1999
The former Genesis drummer is now a farmer in Spain and has written a book about it. 

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

8 comments:

  1. I thought Chasing Vermeer was a very fun book. And while I haven't read About a Boy, I did really like the movie they made of it with Hugh Grant. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was, Lark. I saw it on one of the book sales we had at the school and couldn't leave it there.
      And yes, the movie was fantastic (Hugh Grant did a great job there) but the book is just as great. If you want a laugh, I can highly recommend it.

      Delete
  2. I've enjoyed all of the Nick Hornby books I've read (pre-Blog) and I even have (typically unread) a copy of 'Driving Over Lemons'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read this one, Kitten. I really must change that because he seems hilarious.
      Driving Over Lemons is the typical "I am British and I started a farm in the South of Europe" novel but it is something special, especially if you are a Genesis fan. Or a music fan in general.

      Delete
  3. Chasing Vermeer sounds fun. I see there are actually n4 books in the series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the other three, Emma, but I'm sure they are just as great.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a fun and engaging book for children.

    I'm also interested in learning more about "Once in a House on Fire" and "Stones from the River."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are all very different books, Lux but I loved them all. So, enjoy.

      Delete