Thursday 17 October 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. November 2011

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the first part of November 2011.

Adams, Richard "Watership Down" - 1972
This sad story as a sign how careless we are with Mother Nature, how easily we destroy our home planet, how little we consider our fellow human and animal beings.

Dirie, Waris "Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad" - 1998
I remember hearing about female genital mutilation but I think this was the first time I read about it in detail. I think I was so shocked, couldn't believe that anyone would do such a thing ton an innocent young girl, the book has never left me. Not what you expect from the autobiography of a famous model.

Forster, E. M. (Edward Morgan) "A Passage to India" - 1924
This novel takes us both to a different time and a different area, India in die 1920s. Of course, the protagonists are British who live in the time of the Indian independence movement but the main character is a young Indian who gets into trouble just through the carelessness of the English. The book talks about friendship, colonialism, the wish of all human beings to be independent.

Hamilton, Jane "A Map of the World" - 1994
"Happiness is an Illusion, Pain is Reality" - Alice Goodwin, the main character of this novel, receives this as her fortune cookie when visiting a Chinese restaurant with her husband. She doesn't think this sounds like a reality but is reminded of it shortly afterwards when her life changes so much, nothing will ever be the same again.

Smith, Zadie "On Beauty" - 2005
Again, I quite like the author's style, the way she portrays the different characters. Apparently, an homage to E. M. Forster's "Howards End". The fact that she manages to make this into a very modern story shows how timeless a writer she is.

Smith, Zadie "White Teeth" - 1999
A great book with interesting plots, good descriptions, good language.
Zadie Smith's first book takes place in Zadie Smith's a Jamaican hair salon in North London, an Indian restaurant in Leicester Square, an Irish poolroom turned immigrant cafĂ©, a liberal public school, a sleek science institute.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just want to write a little about a book. This is a perfect way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I normally use the most important sentence from my review. So, if someone wants to know more, they can go to the page but I try to give everyone some information about the book here.

      Delete