Thursday 3 October 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. October 2011 Part 3

 

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the third part of October 2011.

Brontë, Anne "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" - 1848
I think of all the Brontë novels, this is my favourite. It reminds me of Jane Austen, though in a different direction.
The novel is exciting from the beginning. The description of the mysterious woman moving into Wildfell Hall, the suspicious neighbours, the generous landlord ... everything is quite interesting already. Then she disappears and the mystery gets even bigger.

Chevalier, Tracy "The Virgin Blue" - 1997
If you are interested in reading about people in former time, especially how women used to live, this is the book for you. 
An American woman moves to France with her husband and starts having strange dreams about the colour blue. 
Gripping.

Chevalier, Tracy "Remarkable Creatures" - 2009
A book about the girl who discovered dinosaurs. We would have liked it to be non-fiction but it was still very interesting.

Coetzee, J.M. "Disgrace" - 1999
A professor, after having lost his job, goes to live with his daughter, Lucy, in a remote area in South Africa. I really liked Lucy, the description of South Africa, both the landscape and the life/political situation.

Johnson, Dr. Spencer "Who moved my cheese?" - 1998
A parable about two mice and two men who live in a maze. They all want the cheese but they all tackle the task differently. We can learn from their mistakes, see that it is important to stay alert. And to be flexible, very important!

Skibsrud, Johanna "The Sentimentalists" - 2010
A story of a father who wants to forget the Vietnam war and is slowly losing all his memories to Alzheimer's. A story of a daughter who would like to learn more about her father and his life. A story of a father and a daughter trying to find a way together at a late stage of their lives.

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment