Thursday 24 October 2024

#ThrowbackThursday. November 2011 Part 2

I've been doing Throwback Thursdays for a while but I noticed that I wrote a lot of reviews in a short time when I first started. One of my blogger friends always posts the reviews of one month but that would be too much. So, these are my reviews from the second part of November 2011.

Haushofer, Marlen "The Wall" (GE: Die Wand) - 1962
This is a book I will never forget. It is about a woman who wakes up one morning only to find out there is an invisible wall around the house in the mountains where she has spent the night. 

Ondaatje, Michael "Anil's Ghost" - 2000
Civil war in Sri Lanka, human rights issues, a story of ordinary people, love, family, a lot of history in this country. 
I love books about history and/or novels from other parts of this world. Anil's Ghost combines history and a story from another part of this world. The language in this book is wonderful, I could read on like this for ages. 

Rosner, Elisabeth "The Speed of Light" - 2001
This is one of those stories that stay with you forever. All three characters are struggling with either their own or their parents' past, with a story they could not change, they were completely innocent in. 

Schmitt, Éric-Emmanuel "Oscar and the Lady in Pink" (F: Oscar et la dame rose) - 2002
The author introduces his readers to a religion through the eyes of a child. This time, he talks about Christianity.

Soueif, Ahdaf "Aisha" - 1983
A short story collection that positively surprised me. The author manages to describe the people so vividly and the stories are so interesting, she is just a great writer. However, this isn't really a collection of short stories but the description of Aisha's life and that of people in her life who turn up in the short stories. A journey between East and West, bringing Orient and Occident together. 

Read my original reviews, for the links click on the titles.

1 comment:

  1. 'The Wall' sounds interesting....! I have a copy of 'The Bookseller of Kabul' (unread of course). I am intending to read it pretty soon though to beef up my Afghanistan reading...

    ReplyDelete