Thursday, 17 November 2011

Schmitt, Éric-Emmanuel “Oscar and the Lady in Pink"

Schmitt, Éric-Emmanuel “Oscar and the Lady in Pink" (Oscar et la dame rose) - 2002

Same as in “Monsieur Ibrahim and the Flowers of the Koran" (Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran) , Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt introduces his readers to a religion through the eyes of a child. This time, he talks about Christianity. Oscar is a ten-year old boy who suffers from cancer. The Lady in Pink is one of the nurses in a pink uniform who visits him every day. She suggests he write letters to God. It is interesting to follow Oscar's thoughts through his illness, perhaps his last days on earth. I read somewhere that this is a story about acceptance. True.

My favourite quote from the book: “My illness is part of me. They shouldn't behave differently because I'm ill. Or can they only love me when I'm well?” Good question, Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment