Monday 27 May 2024

Hamsun, Knut "Growth of the Soil"

Hamsun, Knut "Growth of the Soil" (Norwegian: Markens Grøde) - 1917

For the Classics Spin #37, we received #8 and this was my novel.

So far, I have only read one book by Knut Hamsun, "Pan". That was part of our international book club. One of our members was from Norway, and Knut Hamsun was her favourite author. I liked "Pan", it's a great novel and probably a good one for a book club since it's not too large.

"Growth of the Soil" was just as great. Apparently, this gained him the Nobel Prize for Literature. You can tell that the author loves nature and what it does for us. In this case, Isak, the protagonist, comes to an area where nobody lives and which seems hard to farm. He makes something of it and becomes one of the richest man in the area after some others follow.

It's not just the story, it's the way the people are described, their hard work, their love of nature, their will to become more, also those who don't agree with that style of life.

It's a quiet story, a calming story. An epic story about a time long gone.

"The epic novel of man and nature that won its author the Nobel Prize in Literature, in the first new English translation in more than ninety years

When it was first published in 1917,
Growth of the Soil was immediately recognized as a masterpiece. More than one-hundred years later it still remains a transporting literary experience. In the story of Isak, who leaves his village to clear a homestead and raise a family amid the untilled tracts of the Norwegian back country, Knut Hamsun evokes the elemental bond between humans and the land. Newly translated by the acclaimed Hamsun scholar Sverre Lyngstad, Hamsun's novel is a work of preternatural calm, stern beauty, and biblical power - and the crowning achievement of one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century."

Knut Hamsun received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1920 "for his monumental work, 'Growth of the Soil'"

I contribute to this page: Read the Nobels and you can find all my blogs about Nobel Prize winning authors and their books here.

6 comments:

  1. Quiet stories can be so moving and memorable. I like the sound of this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Lark. I have enjoyed both his books a lot.

      Delete
  2. I need to revisit this author. I believe I read Hunger in my pre-teen years. I don't remember a thing about the book, except that I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed a great author. His love for nature transpires and makes you want to go into the next forest.

      Delete
  3. I have only read Hunger by him. Although a terribly sad story, I did like it. I want to read more by him one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hunger" was one of the books our Norwegian member recommended, as well. Thanks, Lisbeth.

      Delete