Tuesday 21 May 2024

Top Ten Tuesday ~ New Books

  

"Top Ten Tuesday" is an original feature/weekly meme created on the blog "The Broke and the Bookish". It was created because they are particularly fond of lists. It is now hosted by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl.

Since I am just as fond of them as they are, I jump at the chance to share my lists with them! Have a look at their page, there are lots of other bloggers who share their lists here.

Authors I’d Love a New Book From (These could be authors that have passed away, who have retired from writing, who have inexplicably gone quiet, or who might jut not be able to keep up with how quickly you read their books!)

As usual, it was not tough to find ten authors, it was really hard to restrict myself to ten. In the end I chose five authors who are still alive and will hopefully write more and ten that have passed away and will certainly not write another book. It would be interesting to see the perspective on today's world of those who haven't been with us for decades or centuries.

I have picked various books, sometimes the first one I read, sometimes my favourite. In most cases, I have read all the books the author has written.

Bryson, Bill
Bill Bryson is one of my favourite authors. Unfortunately, he has retired from writing. What a shame!

Hislop, Victoria 
I am sure Victoria Hislop will write more books about her beloved Greece. At least I hope so.

Lawson, Mary 
Mary Lawson is not one of the authors who writes another new book every year but I hope she will have many more to come.

Pamuk, Orhan
Orhan Pamuk is a great writer. No wonder he received the Nobel Prize for Literature. His books are fantastic and always different, so I hope there will be more.

Rutherfurd, Edward
Edward Rutherfurd writes the best historic novels, always describing a certain area or country. I saw some facts about Egypt he is collecting, so maybe that will be the next one?

And these are the authors who passed away way too early or too long ago.

Austen, Jane 
She was only 41 when she died. What great novels could she still have been able to write!!

Powers, Charles T. 
He turned 53 but only wrote one novel. 😞

Ruiz Zafón, Carlos
Also just 55. At least he wrote lots of novels before but what could have been ...

Scott, Mary
She turned 90 and wrote lots and lots of novels. However, I would love to see what she would have today about life today.

Shaffer, Mary Ann & Barrows, Annie 
73 years old but only wrote the one novel. Or started it, her niece finished it. Still, such a nice novel, I am sure she would have had more in her.

📚 Happy Reading! 📚

18 comments:

  1. 41 is so young to die!

    Lydia Schoch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at the time it was not that unusual but still far, far too young. You are right, Lydia.

      Delete
  2. Jane Austen. Yes.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would definitely be fantastic, wouldn't it Regine?

      Delete
  3. I didn't realize Bryson had formally retired. Sad to hear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stephen. Very sad indeed. I still hope he will change his mind but it's been four years since he announced it. :(

      Delete
  4. I was so saddened when Ruiz passed :( I'm glad I still have some of his books on my TBR but it's sad there will be no more. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Dini. I loved him so much that I read every single new book when it came out and had finished all his old ones, so there are no more new Ruiz Zafón books for me to read. I really should go and re-read all the old ones.

      Delete
  5. Such a great list. I wish Austen had lived longer to write more, too. And I'm sad Ruiz is no longer around; I love his books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Lark. I first started with the authors who are still alive and where I hope they write more and then I thought, I also have to include those that I love so much that it is sad they could not write more because they are no longer among us.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. So do I, Lisa. So sad that this is her only one.

      Delete
  7. I love Rutherfurd and the Ireland series was so good. He puts me in mind of Janes Michener sometimes, getting so detailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. Yes, the Ireland series was fantastic. I also really loved all his England based books, the area he comes from. Although, having said that, they are all great.

      I've heard the comparison with Michener quite often. I never read any of his books. Which one books would you suggest to begin with?

      Delete
  8. I can agree with your there, Marianne. Ruiz Zafon would be highest on my list for more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Lisbeth. He would have written so many, many more great books.

      Delete
  9. I popped over here on Tuesday, but for some reason my comment wouldn't post. I didn't realize Jane Austen died at 41, so young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, the different blogsites don't want to talk to each other, Cindy. I usually go to Google Chrome then /instead of Firefox). It doesn't work all the time, either, but mostly.

      Yes, 41 is far too young for such a great writer.

      Delete