Friday 3 May 2024

Spell the Month in Books ~ May

          
Reviews from the Stacks

I found this on one of the blogs I follow, Books are the New Black who found it at One Book More. It was originally created by Reviews from the Stacks, and the idea is to spell the month using the first letter of book titles.

May: Nature

I'm not the biggest nature lover but I absolutely love trees. So, I tried to find some that have the word tree in the title. Unfortunately, I haven't read a book called "Yew Tree", so I had to use a cover that shows trees on it.

MAY
M
Montefiore, Santa "Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree" - 2002
The descriptions about life in South America, Argentina, in this case, are not bad but the whole story is mainly a cheesy love story.


A
Grjasnowa, Olga "All Russians Love Birch Trees" (GE: Der Russe ist einer, der Birken liebt) - 2012
The protagonist is a young Jewish woman who grew up in Azerbaijan and speaks several languages. She goes from Germany to Israel where she tries to settle. Her home could be everywhere, yet, she finds it is nowhere.

Y
Scott, Mary "Yes, Darling" - 1967
Mary Scott was one of my favourite authors in my teenage years. The stories were written in the fifties/sixties and times have changed, hopefully. Margaret, the heroine of our story, lets herself being bullied all her life. First by her father, then her husband and in the end by her husband's daughter and nieces. I think this might actually be a good book to discuss feminism and how it shouldn't be.

* * *
I definitely recommend the Birch Tree book.

Happy Reading!
📚 📚 📚

8 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I've never heard of an Ombu tree. Or of any of these books. But the birch tree book does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either, Lark. They also call it the elephant tree in English but since it is native to South America, I guess neither of us have seen one.

      Delete
  2. I know we already established that we are both Mary Scott fans but it still brings a smile to my face that I'm not alone. Although if I do Spell the Month in Books I will have to find a different Y book - not easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Constance. And there are so many months that end in a Y, you have to find four for the year. Not as many as Es but still. The only reason I manage to find some different ones is because we get the topic of the month and so I can't repeat myself that easily.
      And Mary Scott, I ought to use her books a lot more often but I know they are out of print and if people get interested, they won't be able to read them. :(

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Emma. And I'll pick up your multi-lingual hint in July. ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love especially the "A" book. Mind you, I love everything by Mary Scott but they have been out of print for ages.

      Delete