Saturday 4 May 2024

Six Degrees of Separation ~ From The Anniversary to Driving by Moonlight

#6Degrees of Separation:
from The Anniversary (Goodreads) to Driving by Moonlight

#6Degrees is a monthly link-up hosted by Kate at Books Are My Favourite and Best. I love the idea. Thank you, Kate. See more about this challenge, its history, further books and how I found this here.

The starter book this month is "The Anniversary" by Stephanie Bishop.

I have not read it, so there is no link to that book, but here is the description:

"Novelist J.B. Blackwood is on a cruise with her husband, Patrick, to celebrate their wedding anniversary. Her former professor, film director, and cult figure, Patrick is much older than J.B.. When they met, he seemed somehow ageless, as all gods appear in the eyes of those who worship them. But now his success is starting to wane and J.B. is on the cusp of winning a major literary prize. Her art has been forever overseen by him, now it may overshadow his.

For days they sail in the sun, nothing but dark water all around them. Then a storm hits and Patrick falls from the ship. J.B. is left alone, as the search for what happened to Patrick - and the truth about their marriage - begins.

Propulsive and fiercely intelligent, The Anniversary is exquisitely written with a swift and addictive plot. It’s a novel that asks: how legible, in the mind of the writer, is the line between reality and plot? How do we refuse the people we desire? And what is the cost, to ourselves, to others and to our art, if we don’t?
"

Whenever I hear the word "Anniversary", I think about "Wedding" and that is going to be my next link.
After that, I will use a word in the title from one book and find another book with that same word in the title. The first word is Wedding.

And since we are on a trip already, I have decided to carry on like that this month and take you on a tour through two continents but lots of different countries.

Benali, Abdelkader "Wedding by the Sea" (NL: Bruiloft aan zee) - 1996

Allende, Isabel "Island Beneath the Sea" (E: La isla bajo el mar) - 2010

Şafak, Elif "The Island of Missing Trees" - 2021

Tolan, Sandy "The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East" - 2006


Stewart, Chris "Driving over Lemons" - 1999

Henderson, Kristin "Driving by Moonlight: A Journey Through Love, War, and Infertility" - 2003


📚📚📚

Honestly, the last book was not one that I particularly liked but I doubt I would like the starter book, so maybe that's what they have in common.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, cleverly done! I don't know any of these (have not even heard of the Allende book, surprisingly) but Driving Over Lemons sounds very charming. I love to travel but I can't imagine living so remotely. I would miss my library, my grocery store, and my hairdresser (who was very grumpy this morning when I refused bangs).

    Constance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Constance. I always try to find new books that I have not used before. I often fail miserably.
      The Allende book belongs to my favourite of hers, so if you like her, give it a go.
      Driving Over Lemons is charming. I couldn't live that way, either, but I have read several books by people who went that way and were very happy. It is still a tough life.
      The author is the ex-drummer of Genesis, by the way.

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me that I really must read Elif Shafak's book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my favourite by her, Lisa. Enjoy.
      But I loved all the others, as well. I have just picked another one by her to read next.

      Delete