Friday 24 May 2024

Book Quotes

    

"Speak the truth in a million voices. It is silence that kills!" St. Catherine of Siena

It's always best to stick to the truth. Especially if you don't have a really great memory.

"In journalism just one fact that is false prejudices the entire work. In contrast, in fiction one single fact hat is true gives legitimacy to the entire work. That's the only difference, and it lies in the commitment of the writer. A novelist can do anything he wants so long as he makes people believe in it." Gabriel García Márquez

Well, I have a problem with fiction that contradicts itself. If you are twenty and someone else is thirty at the same time, you better not be twenty-five and the other one is forty a couple of pages later.

"Book's are time travel. True readers all know this. But books don't just take you back to the time in which they were written; they can take you back to different versions of yourself." Peter Swanson, Eight Perfect Murders

That's the only time travel I believe in.

Find more book quotes here.

6 comments:

  1. Time Travel stories are one of my favourite types of SF.. [grin]

    I do *love* the way the books - both fiction and non-fiction - can take you to foreign lands and time long past. I particularly like those books that can put you *inside* the heads of the people living in those places/times and that make you see what it was really like there. Its mind expanding and grows the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say yes to everything in your statement, Kitten. I don't understand people who don't like reading. It's their decision, I just can't follow their decision.

      Delete
  2. I love that Peter Swanson quote! I used it with one of my bookish art posts last year. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I thought I knew it, Lark. It sounded very familiar but I checked my list and couldn't find it, so I included it. I think I often remember your quotes better because you always combine it with art, a great idea.

      Delete
  3. I do love to time travel. And I do it quite often, with my typical reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you and I travel, Sarah, by reading history books, not the sci-fi version. LOL

      Delete